JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Handles and fittings, the low tech way. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Handles and fittings, the low tech way.
D.Ellis
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 28908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.Ellis   Email D.Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.
Last pics until Monday most likely.
Here's the one showing the alignment pins keeping the pieces of the spacer together.......self explanatory I think.
Definitely need to put that guard on a diet before this is all done.
 -

Here's a shot of the pommel nut. Still rough from the lathe, but ready to hold things tight for assembly. There'll probably be a copper spacer/washer around it later.
You can also see the pencil mark where I need to take some ivory off to balance out the sides.

-

I use a hoof rasp(the fine side) to take the ivory down to the line.
 -

Mostly trued up.

-

Now I make a cardboard stencil to mark out the profile of the coffin. Only half of the handle, so when you flip it over to do the other half they match exactly.

-

Roughed out with the rasp and hacksaw.......

-

--------------------
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Posts: 996 | From: Fort Fraser BC Canada | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.Ellis
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 28908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.Ellis   Email D.Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to do some engraving on the spacer, but couldn't make up my mind what to cut that would look right, so decided to flute the copper............
 -

and coin edge the nickel silver. That's a 32 lines per inch metal checkering file if memory serves me.
Yes, there is one extra hole in the copper that I didn't need. Broke a 1/16" drill bit. Tip of the day. When drilling copper with small bits, use a cutting fluid. [banghead]

-

Back together again, still rough, but I think it'll look OK.

-

Did a bit more filing on the ivory, and then ran out of steam. Here's a peek at where I am now(notice my feet are up. [Big Grin] I still need to narrow the waist on the coffin and lots of refining of the shape, but I just didn't have the energy to do any more. At this stage of the build, I need to have full concentration or I'll goof something up for sure, so further work needs to wait till I am fresh.
Sorry for being so brief in the last few pics, but it was really just mundane filing and shaping, so not much to see anyway. Next installment I'll make sure to take more photo's as we'll be doing the final handle contouring and polish, and then checkering, final finish on the fittings, and sooner or later, final assembly.

-

See you soon. [campfire]
Darcy

--------------------
67# osage selfbow

Posts: 996 | From: Fort Fraser BC Canada | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sockrsblur
Contributor 2017
Member # 35720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sockrsblur   Email Sockrsblur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Very nice Darcy! [campfire]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Posts: 2087 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent.

Guys, I see Darcy's maturity as a maker in this tutorial. He is not afraid of the mundane, boring parts of the project like using a rasp to remove the ivory or a file to shape the guard. He's allowing material for removal to the next stage of finishing. He is being patient and resting before a critical stage that will take concentration and steady hand.

This speaks of an individual that is confident in his abilities yet aware of his limitations. Combined with good materials and a little time, he can take a craft to a higher level.

As I see it these are things that are not taught in classes specifically, but are learned from practicing such things in all areas of life.

--------------------
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Posts: 4542 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gudspelr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudspelr   Email gudspelr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is fantastic. Thanks VERY much for taking all of the time to bring this to us. I especially identify with waiting until you have the energy to focus. I've been there and "pushed through" when I should've walked away. Thankfully, it wasn't anything like ivory ruined [Wink] . I have several of those rasps, but had no idea they were so effective on ivory, as well.

Learning a lot as you go, sir.

[campfire]

Jeremy

--------------------
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Posts: 990 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.Ellis
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 28908

Thanks very much for the kind words guys.
Jeremy, the fine side of a farriers rasp is good for quickly removing everything up to about the hardness of copper. It can also snag and tear and destroy a good piece of material much faster than ordinary files, but used judiciously, it's a great tool to speed up hand work.
I spent today helping my brother with a welding project for his motorbike and visiting with my 93 year old Grandmother........and I'm going bear stalking(as an observer) with a bowhunting buddy later this evening. He hasn't quite given up the wheels yet, but sooner or later [Big Grin]
I should be relaxed and raring to go on this build again tomorrow.
Darcy [campfire]

--------------------
67# osage selfbow

gudspelr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudspelr   Email gudspelr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound like a guy I wish I lived closer to [thumbsup] . Looking forward to more and good luck with the bear hunting.

Jeremy

--------------------
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Posts: 990 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.Ellis
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 28908

I got in pretty late last night, actually pretty early this morning.......2:30 am when I got home. My buddy arrowed a 6 foot 2 blackie and it took a while to get things dealt with. I can't post a pic since he uses the wrong kind of bow. [Big Grin] Fun watching him make the stalk.......got to within 30 yards before he shot......had all kinds of time to shoot from 50, and he can make that shot all day long, but chose to get closer to make things more sure. One of these days I'll talk him into taking his longbow out. [thumbsup]

Anyway, moving on to todays progress.

I laid out some more lines to get the handle finish shaped. Because this is a coffin handle and supposed to be symmetrical, it's important for me to dial in the main angles. One of the nice things about the human eye is we can see small differences between two halves of a symmetrical object. SO it's fairly easy to tell if it's not right. One of the bad things is the human eye can see small differences between the two halves of a symmetrical object.........so if it's not right, everybody will be able to tell [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

-

And then just a bunch more filing to get it shaped. Lots of stops to check it over from all angles.
 -

-

-

--------------------
67# osage selfbow

D.Ellis
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 28908

The coffin I make is a bit different from some. I like the sides to be nicely domed, especially if I plan, like in this case, to do any checkering. It is a comfortable and secure grip shape, and to my eye, is reminiscent of some of the early bowies shapes.

So, I got the handle filed as close as I wanted to take it with files. Then decided the guard was due for some attention........you may recall I vowed to put it on a weight loss program. Here I am marking around the spacer so I know how much to remove from the guard when I file it slimmer.
 -

I then neglected to take any more pics of the guard slimming due to my sleep deprived state. [Roll Eyes]

But I did slim it up, as you can see here. And then I moved on to getting some of the file marks out of the handle.

-

--------------------
67# osage selfbow

D.Ellis
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 28908

I like to use a scraper to remove the file marks before going on to sandpaper.......it is much faster, and way less dusty, you can use almost any sharp edged object to scrape......pocketknife, cabinet scraper etc. If the scraper starts to chatter try working in the other direction, or angle the scraper, and lighten the pressure........once the chatter starts it will just get worse, like washboard on a gravel road, so you have to deal with it before it gets too bad, or you'll have to sand it out.
 -

-

you can see the nice long shavings being removed and the file marks right along with them.

After I got that done, I decided to finish the spacer and guard and leave the handle sanding to wait for a bit.
I sanded the copper spacers and then brushed them with a wire cup brush in the drill press.

-

And then did some heat coloring. End results vary depending on how hot you get it, and if you cool it in water or air cool etc.

-

--------------------
67# osage selfbow

D.Ellis
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 28908

Then I used the dremel tool with a carbide burr to texture the guard.

-

I decided to try something different, after lightly texturing the entire surface, I did a bunch of deeper grooves radiating out from the center of the guard.......

-

After this I cold blue it and hand sand with 1500grit to highlight the texture.

You may notice I am not showing finished pics of the components........I am saving that for the final photo's........have to have some suspense in this thread after all [Big Grin]

That was it for today. We are approaching the finish line. Tomorrow I plan to sand and polish the ivory, and do the checkering.......and then it'll be time for final assembly.......oh, and I almost forgot, I still need to do something with that pommel nut as well.

Darcy [campfire]

--------------------
67# osage selfbow

Alexander13
Member # 37872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander13   Email Alexander13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is WOW! There's just so much information here it's just awesome! Thank you very much Darcy!!
The knife is looking amazing, too!!

Joel

Posts: 67 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sockrsblur
Contributor 2017
Member # 35720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sockrsblur   Email Sockrsblur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of cool tricks in your bag Darcy! I'm excited to see some of the checkering get put down. There are lots of very interesting components to this blade, it's Ben fun watching you work.
[campfire]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Posts: 2087 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roughcountry
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 2496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roughcountry   Email Roughcountry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really enjoy watching you put this one together.
Thanks for taking the time. [thumbsup]

Posts: 2203 | From: Eastern Oregon | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ymountainman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 26006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ymountainman   Email ymountainman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Darcy for doing these build alongs!
Posts: 306 | From: AR | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©