JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Tomahawk forging

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tomahawk forging
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an urge to forge a hawk.

You can see the high carbon bit laying beside the preform of the body.

-

After the weld and thermo cycling.

-

One final cycle after a general clean up on the grinder. It was pretty close but that little step in the bottom I hogged in.

-

Got it heat treated and a hickory haft in.

-

-

--------------------
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Posts: 4502 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KSCATTRAPR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSCATTRAPR   Email KSCATTRAPR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Nice, I like it alot!
Posts: 540 | From: Buhler, Kansas | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bladepeek
Contributor 2017
Member # 24206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bladepeek   Email Bladepeek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lin, do you hot stamp your name, or was that done prior to the final hardening heat?

Also, you should show that spear tip on here. You could pass it off as a large, forged broadhead [Smile]

--------------------
62" Blacktail Snakebit LH 38@28
60" Bear Super K 40#@28
66" Sparrow hawk LH 42@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62" Lost Creek Judge RH 44@28
52" Bear KMag LH 45@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 46/43@28

Posts: 4002 | From: Greenville, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

Ron, I hot stamped this hawk. I usually hot stamp the pieces that I intend to leave forge finished.

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Posts: 4502 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2017
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lin,
Your blacksmithing skills are unbelievable...beautiful!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8297 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FerretWYO
Admin
Member # 13052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FerretWYO   Email FerretWYO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Jeff said. Holy wow.

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow

Posts: 6370 | From: Cheyenne Wy | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Thank you! I'm just glad y'all let me hang out here. [Smile] [campfire]

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Steve Nuckels
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Nuckels   Email Steve Nuckels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lin, that is Sooooo very cool!

I love it!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
ABS AP

Posts: 2242 | From: Hagerstown, MD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2017
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are the ones that are privileged to have you share so much with us [Not Worthy]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8297 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjansen   Author's Homepage   Email bjansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting the in-process pics. I learn quite a bit from seeing those. Excellent work!
Posts: 2226 | From: Germantown, WI | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kbaknife   Email kbaknife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
Thank you! I'm just glad y'all let me hang out here. [Smile] [campfire]

Yeah, well, there've been times........... [Wink]

--------------------
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Posts: 2745 | From: Watseka, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2017
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tippit:
We are the ones that are privileged to have you share so much with us [Not Worthy]

X2 just beautiful work. [thumbsup]

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15106 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Thanks guys! [campfire]

Quote from Karl:

Karl we go together like peas and carrots. [Smile]

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbaknife   Email kbaknife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:

Quote from Karl:

Karl we go together like peas and carrots. [Smile]

[thumbsup]

--------------------
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Posts: 2745 | From: Watseka, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©