JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » First forged knife - Work in progress

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First forged knife - Work in progress
Rathbuck
Contributor 2017
Member # 22620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rathbuck   Author's Homepage   Email Rathbuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off - total newbie to this craft. I've always been fascinated by knifemaking, and always wanted to get give it a try. I started about 6 months ago by purchasing bar stock and doing removal.

I won't share the first few attempts, as they were pretty rough...LOL.

Had a fun time with it, though, so went further and now have a homemade forge, belt sander, and old section of railroad track that my great-grandfather used to use.

For my first attempt, took a piece of steel from an old plow off the family farm. No idea of the makeup, but since this is practice, didn't worry too much.

Original bar of steel - this is after I cut off the hammered out blade - sanded it clean, then heated and hammered.

-

--------------------
"Lungs are guts. You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Posts: 219 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rathbuck
Contributor 2017
Member # 22620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rathbuck   Author's Homepage   Email Rathbuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't take a picture of the hammered out blade...I guess I was too excited and went straight to the belt sander. Won't make that mistake again.

After the first rough sanding:
 -

--------------------

Posts: 219 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rathbuck
Contributor 2017
Member # 22620

After some more cleanup and file work. You can still see some of the hammer marks on the blade, but honestly I like the looks of it.

Still a LONG way to go (obviously), but happy with how it's going so far...I could easily get addicted to this. If all goes well, this will probably be the knife I send to Hackbow for winning the St. Jude's auction.

-

--------------------

Frenchymanny
2017 Contributor
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchymanny   Email Frenchymanny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!
[thumbsup]

F-Manny

--------------------
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Posts: 2826 | From: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hackbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hackbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,

I'm excited and honored to be able to be a part of this knife's story. Thanks again for your generous contribution and your dedication to the St. Jude kids!

Posts: 1229 | From: North Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rathbuck
Contributor 2017
Member # 22620

Glad to be able to contribute! This one has been a lot of fun for me, as it's a different feeling forging a blade rather than just removing metal from bar stock.

Here's the blade fresh out of the heat treat - heat treat went well and she was good and hard.

-

And after a little bit of cleanup (after 320 grit):

-

Terrible picture, but this is about 1/2 way through the 1000 grit stage:

-

More updates soon... [Smile]

--------------------

Rathbuck
Contributor 2017
Member # 22620

And just for fun, here's the first knife I finished - started with 440C stainless bar stock, shaped and ground down.

Made a bunch of mistakes with this one, but learned a ton, and I was pretty happy with the final product. Sent this one to my father-in-law as a belated father's day gift.

-

-

-

--------------------

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©