JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Early American Period Knives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early American Period Knives
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2017
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob with his Black Powder Gang site has gotten me into a flintlock. Now I'm trying to forge up Period Correct style knives to go with my flintlock. Hardest part is getting stains on bone and antler to look like the old blades. It's been a journey researching these old styles but fun. Does anyone else forge up these knives? The shapes of a lot of my knives is similar to some of those early blades...but I haven't figured out the staining yet. Tried tea but there is more to learn. Anyone know different staining technics?
tippit

- [/IMG]

-

-

Earlier blade styles by other contemporary bladesmiths...

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8510 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My try at staining bone handles with Tea...

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8510 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TacoBobbo
Member # 44049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TacoBobbo   Email TacoBobbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting knives. Just out of curiosity, have you considered using henna to stain things. It's the stuff that they use in places like India to give temporary skin art. Ya might check that out online. Anyway, just a thought.
Bob

Posts: 36 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rufus 25
Contributor 2012
Member # 17314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rufus 25   Email Rufus 25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried black walnut husks? My grandfather used them to dye leather and other material.
Posts: 172 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
milehi101
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for milehi101   Email milehi101   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have good luck with Fiebing's Leather die
Posts: 125 | From: englewood colo | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B.Barker
Member # 46136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B.Barker   Email B.Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tippit, Ian and myself included use onion shins to stain bone and antler. Sometimes you need to use combinations of stains. Another good for greenish black tints is gun powder tea. You need the stuff that is rolled up in little pellets.
Posts: 24 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Member # 1030

This is the knife that started the post...now tea stained bone & blade. I'll probably carry this one until a better comes along. OAL 9 1/2" with a blade of 5 1/2", 1084 steel, and bear bone handle. This is a whole new adventure for me.

-

-

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

tippit
Member # 1030

B. Barker,
What color did onion skins give you on bone & antler? What type of onions did you use? Just the skins in boiling water? Thanks

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

KSCATTRAPR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSCATTRAPR   Email KSCATTRAPR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to use bri-wax on antler do give it a good dark look. You have to leave it on awhile, but that's always another option.
Posts: 638 | From: Buhler, Kansas | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what potassium permanganate would do to bones, Jeff?

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8812 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Zimmerman
Contributor 2017
Member # 2714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Zimmerman   Email Keith Zimmerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why stain them. They will develop the patina from normal use. Do u think Simon Kenton wanted a knife that looked like it was 250 years old? They didnt buy stuff that looked aged back then.
Posts: 4189 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©