JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Cleaning knife handel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning knife handel
Wdfox
Member # 46832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wdfox   Email Wdfox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently punched an expensive fixed blade hunting knife at the PBS Auction. I am very pleased with the knife, however. I would like to clean the antler handel, but I am uncertain about the best way to do it. Any suggestions.
Posts: 3 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbaknife   Email kbaknife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be inclined to use a soft bristled brush and mild detergent. Wipe clean and dry immediately.

--------------------
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Posts: 2791 | From: Watseka, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What on the handle needs to be cleaned as antler shouldn't need much except maybe some wax ever now and then? Can you post a picture of what you want cleaned?

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8592 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wdfox
Member # 46832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wdfox   Email Wdfox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Handel seems to be a bit oily or maybe not as glossy as my other antler knife handles. I can post a picture when I get back home after the holidays.

Also thanks to everyone for their suggestions all are helpful.

Posts: 3 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graps   Email Graps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I use after buffing an antler out, is Xyol Xylene paint thinner with a toothbrush. It will remove any buffing compound and oil without discoloring the antler. And it will flash off in just a few minuets.
Acetone will flash off too fast and Mineral Spirits takes a while to flash off and makes the antler stink for a long time.

--------------------
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow. " Fred Bear
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:31

}}}}}=========€ >

Posts: 2288 | From: Sparta , Michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©