JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2008 » Outback Australia (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Outback Australia
huntertrapper
Cadet Member
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntertrapper   Author's Homepage   Email huntertrapper       Edit/Delete Post 
you got sights on that bow? [scared] thats different lookin. lots of kills... neat

--------------------
Movin to wyoming to live my life as a mountain man

Posts: 15 | From: Pa | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G'day Lads!

These goats were taken during the same hunt, Ryan. We do encounter snakes and spiders, but the most bothersome creatures on this hunt were the ants.

Yeah, Andy, we'll sort something out for sure, but my school break is a week in October. But there're still weekends.

Tony had a sight on his Hoyt recurve to start with. It was his first hunt with a recurve. So he shot those first two goats of his with sights. But, after hanging out with bad company during the evening target practice sessions, he decided to take his sights off and have a go, which he did with excellence, nailing that last big goat of his.

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntertrapper
Cadet Member
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntertrapper   Author's Homepage   Email huntertrapper       Edit/Delete Post 
glad ta hear he took the sights off and shot trad.

--------------------
Movin to wyoming to live my life as a mountain man

Posts: 15 | From: Pa | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of weeks ago, Matt Wright snuck in and shot this 75kg boar at 5m range. The 820-grain Goldtip/Ribtek arrow zipped right through, and the pig made 10m only before going down. His bow's a 66", 70lb @ 29" Black Widow PLX "Zebrawood".

-

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Today we headed out real early to a swamp that still has a fair bit of water in it. It had no ferals on it, so we began walking cross-country to another swamp. Along the way, we found a mob of eight pigs rooting around in the damp, soft sand. Off with the boots, a perfect stalk, two warning shots over her back, and finally a double-lung shot (all at 10m) put this sow down after a 60m dash. I was using 704-grain CX350 Heritage arrows and Tusker Delta broadheads. The bow is my 64", 78lb @ 29" Black Widow PLX "Bocote".

-

Later on, Matt did an amazing bit of stump-shooting with his judo-tipped arrow, hitting this termite mound perfectly with a 45m shot.

-

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Ybuck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ybuck   Email Ybuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations guys! Terrific pics, thanks for sharing. [clapper]

--------------------
Steve.

Posts: 862 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben,
Ive had goat before, and other than 'cabrito' which is very young goat, I've found it tough and chewy no matter how its prepared.

Then the other night I saw "Battle: Goat" on Iron Chef America and got the hankering to try some of those recipes..that stuff looked good!

I don't think you eat your pigs...do you consume the goats? What recipes do you like.

I have a hunting spot that is close to a goat farm, and the guy's animals are constantly getting out of the fence and I am thinking of taking one if I get a chance, as long as it doesnt have a pink ribbon around its neck. [biglaugh]

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8816 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatman
Contributor 2011
Member # 14188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatman   Email fatman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, it would be my semi-educated guess that a farm-raised goat would be better eating than something "free range"...so you should be in good shape.
As a youth in western Kansas, barbequed goat figured prominently in our after-harvest blow-out.
We would wrap the quartered goats in damp cheesecloth, and bury them in a pit, between layers of corrugated metal, for 24 hrs. Kansas doesn't have mesquite, so we used old "hedge" posts (osage). Coals on the bottom and top, covered with dirt, and some old pipe stuck through the dirt to allow some O2 to keep things smoldering..... [thumbsup]
If thirty years of corroded memory serves correctly, the meat was generally "falling off the bone" and good flavored...could be stringy at times. These goats were usually obtained at the local livestock auction for a few dollars apiece.
Our appetites were of course whetted with youthful enthusiasm and cheap cereal malt.... [bigsmyl]

It would be good if CK could possibly chime in on this, as he seems to have experience with the free-range goats in Tejas.... [campfire]
By the way, cabrito is a real treat....

Kevin

--------------------
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Posts: 1504 | From: Louisburg, KS | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G'day Ray! You're right, I don't eat pigs for reasons of my upbringing (but neither do most Aussie hunters eat the pigs they shoot). As for the billy goats, we're too hot and bothered, and they're just too tough, for us to dress 'em and eat 'em. Younger ones are much better, and we have shot one for the frying pan. As for recipes, I recall that it was just marinated in tomato sauce, with lots of salt and pepper, and then fried up with rice. It was very nice, and everyone enjoyed it, even though mine had a bit of sand in it, sadly! The station manager gets some beautiful goat and sheep sausages (the sort you eat with crackers) made up - they're delicious! Sometimes there might even be a bit of Skippy thrown into the mixture.

Kevin, I think that the kinds of arid shrubbery that our feral goats eat (and decimate) adds a nice flavour to the meat.

And Ray, if the escapee has 40" horns, and is wearing a ribbon, remember that you can always snip the ribbon off for the photo! [goldtooth]

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Maher   Email Ben Maher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The eating of pigs and goats varies greatly on their geographic living as in Aussie outback the food sources vary greatly.Pigs taken in forested areas are fine tablefare. from the snow bound forets of the Victorian High country to the Hills of Texas QLD i have, and will continue to eat pork and wild goat. As much as I hate to leave any game wasted, i enjoy trying new cooking techniques with all wild game.
however, the feral pigs of the western states of Oz can be worm/disease riddled and as such, extra care must always be taken with the cooking. they can be eaten....just extra care should be taken with preparation.
the only time i ever eat pork is when taken from the wild.
slow roasted or stewed goat/pig round the fire is one of the wilds great pleasures.

nice hog there Ben!!!!

cheers

ben

--------------------
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Posts: 2684 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good on ya, Matt and Ben.
looking forward to see how that Silvertip goes on the pigs when it finally gets there. [thumbsup]

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Andy, Friday's the big day, hopefully! I'll be putting pictures up for sure! It's already a long week!

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

SERBIANSHARK
Member # 16458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SERBIANSHARK   Author's Homepage   Email SERBIANSHARK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great pics.
Posts: 2 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like ya'll had a boat load of fun! [thumbsup]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30762 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JC
Contributor 2014
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JC   Email JC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, looks like you guys would get worn out with target opportunities like that...it's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

Hope we can find that many critters when Whip and I visit cobber Al next summer, sure am looking forward to seeing your country.

--------------------
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 9619 | From: Ranger, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©