Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO How To - Resources.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along (Page 30)

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31   
Author Topic: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along
twitchstick
Contributor 2016
Member # 19043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twitchstick   Email twitchstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4est trekker I have question regarding the handle. On my frist failed board bow I felt the handle section was a tad to small for my hand. I like the updated handle idea on page 21. When I shape the handle can I just round the fades more or do I have to change the width of the limb too?
Posts: 2973 | From: utah | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4est trekker
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 21178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4est trekker   Email 4est trekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twitchstick: You can round the fades more in the non-working (i.e. thicker) section. I hope that helps. [Smile]

--------------------
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Col. 3:17

Posts: 1315 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twitchstick
Contributor 2016
Member # 19043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twitchstick   Email twitchstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,and again thanks for all your time.
Posts: 2973 | From: utah | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveKing
Member # 27546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveKing   Author's Homepage   Email DaveKing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came along recently and found this build-along. I recently retired and have a little time on my hands so I figured I could pass some of it by giving this a try.

I didn't take any pictures during the basic building steps but I did make a bit of a video when I first tested the bow (linked in here).

I used a 1 x 3 instead of a 1x4 and left the limbs about .480".

Here's a video of the first shots and a little of the bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3u1mWoIwXI

Posts: 21 | From: Montgomery County, Maryland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Tailed Hawk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Tailed Hawk   Email Red Tailed Hawk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice bow DaveKing, What poundage did you wind up at?

--------------------
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Posts: 1248 | From: Long Island | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveKing
Member # 27546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveKing   Author's Homepage   Email DaveKing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used the family scale and measured about 41# at 26"
Posts: 21 | From: Montgomery County, Maryland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1oldbowguy
Contributor 2016
Member # 26890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1oldbowguy   Author's Homepage   Email 1oldbowguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking bow, seems to shoot well also. Congrats!!

--------------------
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Posts: 645 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paparick
Contributor 2016
Member # 25945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paparick   Email paparick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm gonna try the mollegabet. I have some cool looking linen to back it with. I'll post a build on it if it doesn't explode. d;^)

--------------------
Saxon Hawk Longbow
Bear 76er Custom 50lb "Ugmo"
Bear 76er Custom 40lb "Steve"

Posts: 16 | From: Alaska | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matts2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matts2   Email matts2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at this build, I am wondering about the recurve style tips. Do they have to be same wood or can they be layered with other woods mainly for cosmetics.

Matt

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 314 | From: Central IL | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aznboi3644
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 26081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aznboi3644   Email Aznboi3644   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the glued on micro recurves are non working so they can be any type of wood you want.
Posts: 137 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkhunter1
Member # 30314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkhunter1   Email elkhunter1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to tradgang. I have been shooting traditional for about 20 years now and have finally become interested in trying to make my own bow. I want to have that connection that only making your own could have. I am in Vancouver Washington and was wondering if you know anyone close enough to drive to for a class. I don't want to " wing it" for the first bow. I need to learn some before trying it on my own. I would appreciate any help.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 7 | From: vancouver,washington | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkhunter1
Member # 30314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkhunter1   Email elkhunter1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot.... please send me a PM or e-mail me at kingvw1@yahoo.com Thanks all!!

--------------------
mike

Posts: 7 | From: vancouver,washington | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bowers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Bowers   Email Dave Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike trying it for the first time is all about the experience. Follow 4est's thread here and you'll have a bow.

Pretty everyone that posted pics was in your shoe's

Go grad a board and go for it

Posts: 1459 | From: Mantua, NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-hat
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 27404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-hat   Email k-hat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question for 4est or whoever can answer: What about a pyramid red oak bow that's about 1 1/4 inch at fades to 1/2 inch at tips? Will this work if i make the belly thin/flat enough? Should i use the pyramid uniform thickness, or more of a tapered thickness with these width dimensions? I'm using a piece i was gonna layout for a somewhat elb profile for my wife, but she wants a handle with fades, etc., so i'm changing it up. Wanna keep the draw light for now, bout 20-25#.

--------------------
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Posts: 367 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WestTexan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WestTexan   Email WestTexan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I built one pretty close to that about a year and a half ago and it turned out nice....had about a thousand shots or more run through it. I think it might be about 28# at 28in.
Posts: 250 | From: Iraan Texas | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©