Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Hot box build along (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hot box build along
bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjansen   Author's Homepage   Email bjansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This weekend I decided it was time to build a new hot box. I went all out on this one so I decided I might as well do a short build along.
I started with 2 sheets of 3/8" 3 ply plywood and a 6 ft pine 1x12, some electrical boxes, hinges, wood glue, nails/screws, bubble insulation and a few other misc. scraps and other items we all have laying around.
Overall I was shooting for an exterior measurment of 84" x 12" x 32".

-

Here we go:
Plywood is ripped and cut to deminsions for the bottom and sides:

-

Posts: 2263 | From: Germantown, WI | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dmaxshawn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dmaxshawn   Author's Homepage   Email Dmaxshawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[coffee] I've learned that anything from Brad is going to be good!!! [campfire]
Posts: 1845 | From: St Johns Florida | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stiks-n-Strings
Contributor 2011
Member # 21118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stiks-n-Strings   Email Stiks-n-Strings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to this

--------------------
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
2 Cor. 10:4
TGMM Family of The Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Posts: 3575 | From: Petersburg, Indiana | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess stuart
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jess stuart   Email jess stuart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I agree Dmaxshawn, anything he does looks great.
Posts: 1412 | From: Moriarty , New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjansen   Author's Homepage   Email bjansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next, I assemble the bottom. I used some scrap 2x2 stock as an aid in the assembly and to add a bit more structural support.

-

Next add on the end caps (1x12 pine). I initially just used glue and brad nails and followed up with drywal screws after the assembly was complete.

-

-

Posts: 2263 | From: Germantown, WI | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ranger 3
Contributor 2014
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ranger 3   Email ranger 3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad, check your camera in the setting's on mine I can set it for the internet.

--------------------
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Posts: 3196 | From: il | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Add the sides:

-

Remember to account for the width of the top so it can be inset into the box:

-

Then cut your top piece to size:

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Now you should have an enclosed box:

-

Lay the box on its side and use a straight edge to cut the lid off. I made my lid 8.5":

-

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Now you have a lid:
 -

Time for the electric. I am using 4 bulbs and I suggest doing your wiring outside of the box. I attached some 1x stock on the inside of the box for mounting surfaces for the electrical boxes as well:

-

After installing the fixtures at the bottom, I put two supports to which my forms will sit on. I prefer this method as I am well aware of the space between my form and the bulbs (rather than a top mounted system). Also heat rises right!

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Now for some foil faced bubble insulation. I start with the bottom and the lid and work my way to the middle.

-

Having a staple gun is great for this task:

-

-

An alignment feature up front is a nice edition:

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

I used a couple scrap stips to beef up the hinged portions:

-

A coat of stain. The local heavily discounted mismatched color at Lowes of course:

-

Some carry handles (for the guys who ends up taking this thing home from my estate sale 55 years down the road)

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Hinges:

-

Some window insulation gapping for the lid threshold:

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

-

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Finishing up the foil insulation:

-

For the lid handle...might as well use that broken bow for something:

-

-

bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Disregard that whited out area...I will finish up the electrical details up front this weekend when the electronic temp control gets in. I am planning for an on/off switch prior to the ETC.

-

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©