Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Thickness Sander Buildalong (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thickness Sander Buildalong
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made one like that a few years back. They work well if you can get a constant feed rate going. I have upgraded to a Grizzly Baby Drum.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3124 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inuumarue
Member # 24422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inuumarue   Email Inuumarue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, shes finished. I'll post pictures once I steal the camera back.

Did a few things. Trued the drum, applied the velcro, tested out some sandpaper, added a tensioner, and turned some rough spots out of the pulley. With the exception of applying the velcro everything was easy and went smoothly. The velcro was a pain to line up and get the angle right. In all honesty it still isn't perfect, but it works.

The tensioner is a rather simple little get up. Just a section of a failed bow a hinge and a screw. The piece of wood is attached to the frame with the hinge, making a little lever, which presses down on the top of the motor. The screw is what holds the lever against the motor and is the source of the tension. Simple, and effective.

The sander itself works perfectly. There are a few quirks and suggestions I would make to anyone wanting to build one.

First, the scavanged 1/3-1/2 hp motor I have is a bit underpowered and seems to struggle to get up to speed. Find a bigger one, or one with a soft start. I worry a bit about if I'm over working the motor when it starts up.

Second. The sander was designed for luthiers, and as such would make a fantastic machine. For bow makers, there is one annoying setback. The table on the sander is just too short. For anyone making glass bows or guitar sides, disregard this. But for those of you making 6' long backing strips such as myself. You end up dancing around the sander to keep the lam from bowing up into the drum. Now my idea is to make the top sheet for the table the full 48" long which would give you plenty of support. Not wanting to rebuild my table and re-true the drum, I'm thinking of building a rake sort of assembly that will apply downward pressure to the out-feed side of the drum. But for now I will dance.

Another near future add on, a dust collector. At the moment I'm sanding outside the bay door with a box fan and a respirator. Why? Because I'm too lazy to fix the shop vac and build a box for the drum. I'll get to it after the bow swap is over.

Posts: 91 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AKmud
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AKmud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since most lams are only about 2" wide at best, I was thinking of following your lead but making the drum only about 4-6" wide which would probably be much easier on the motor and the smaller size would be easier to store as well.

Decisions decisions! [Smile]

Posts: 347 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matts2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matts2   Email matts2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my shippment of parts in the mail yesterday for my sanding build. My drum will be around 10" wide. One question I have is how did you attach the velcro to the drum? Is it glued on or a couple staples to hold it in place?

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 314 | From: Central IL | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inuumarue
Member # 24422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inuumarue   Email Inuumarue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AK that would be simple enough with a 1' drive shaft. If you got creative you could end up with 6 inch drum and a disk sander off the end. I went full length on the drum mostly because my interests swing a bit and I've long considered building a guitar or two.

Matt, I ordered adhesive backed velcro. The adhesive helps to line everything up and make it stay, then I put some staples into the ends of the strip. So far so good. Make sure to post some pics when you're done, if I stop being slow about it I might get mine up before you do.

Posts: 91 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matts2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matts2   Email matts2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. Might be a while on mine, got a few non-fun projects that need completed first. Looking forward to seeing your finished pics.

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 314 | From: Central IL | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grung
Member # 46606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grung   Email Grung   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is quite old, 6 years now. The photos do not appear and note from photobucket.com wants me to set up an account. I would love to print the thread out with the photos.

I'd like to build this unit full width (or more) for live edge projects. Do you have a website or folder with pics?

If better to use email, I'm at greg.unger@me.com
Thanks!

Posts: 1 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grung:
This thread is quite old, 6 years now. The photos do not appear and note from photobucket.com wants me to set up an account. I would love to print the thread out with the photos.

I'd like to build this unit full width (or more) for live edge projects. Do you have a website or folder with pics?

If better to use email, I'm at greg.unger@me.com
Thanks!

He has not posted in 3 years

All that plywood and 2 x 4's will warp sooner or later no mater what you do.

my 2 cent's

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1796 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©