Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Vocabulary section and other useful info (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vocabulary section and other useful info
Stiks-n-Strings
Contributor 2011
Member # 21118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stiks-n-Strings   Email Stiks-n-Strings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lam stack calculator link

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=125&t=007699#000013

--------------------
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
2 Cor. 10:4
TGMM Family of The Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Posts: 3575 | From: Petersburg, Indiana | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wapiti1997
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wapiti1997   Author's Homepage   Email wapiti1997   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have missed it, I read through a couple of times... What is IPE?

--------------------
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Posts: 165 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dingas
Member # 36948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dingas   Email dingas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ipe (ee-pay) is a type of very dense very hard wood usually used in decks and other outdoor uses. It is usually a dark brown colour.
Posts: 89 | From: Hamilton, ON, Canada | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darwin1224
Member # 38843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darwin1224   Email Darwin1224   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, BowJunkie!

I had been wondering about "decrowning" for a little while now.

Posts: 6 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Reb
Contributor 2014
Member # 21663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Reb   Email Johnny Reb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big help, thanks to all who contributed.

--------------------
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Posts: 247 | From: TENNESSEE | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LookMomNoSights
2017 Contributor
Member # 22273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LookMomNoSights   Author's Homepage   Email LookMomNoSights   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 1045 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
galyien trueshot
Member # 41353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for galyien trueshot   Email galyien trueshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHRYSALS!!! Ahhh so thats what happen to me. wish i could post a pick. A perfect CHRYSALS pic for ya :-)
Posts: 6 | From: ca. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jchunt4ever
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9342

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jchunt4ever   Email jchunt4ever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a lot of use of 'ASL' but can't figure out what it means or stands for. Can someone please enlighten me?

--------------------
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Posts: 148 | From: Mannford, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goobersan
Contributor 2015
Member # 35312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goobersan   Email goobersan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it stands for American Style Longbow. Seems they are similar to a Hill style yet with a bit more taper in limb material and a slightly different profile.

--------------------
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Posts: 774 | From: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 11171 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben C
Member # 45299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben C   Email Ben C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great information in all these posts! Brand new to the site today.

Several posts reference back trapping. Can someone please define that? Is it different than backing?

I'm making the transition from compound shooting and have been interested in bow-making for a while. Last year, I made up some oak staves from a trunk that washed down the creek, but they cracked all over the back. I assume the cracks go too deep for the staves to be used. I'll try again with some of this dying ash that's all around the Catskills.

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 1 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
khperkins
Member # 46113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khperkins   Email khperkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic! I'm new to bowyering, and have problems remembering some of the terms. This helps, and hopefully it'll get ingrained pretty soon.

--------------------
Hoyt Pro Hunter 58" 40#

Posts: 11 | From: Maine | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©