Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Traditional Bowyer
by Jack Harrison
3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Terry Folts

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » FIRST ANNUAL SCAVENGER BOW CHALLENGE SIGNUP THREAD (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: FIRST ANNUAL SCAVENGER BOW CHALLENGE SIGNUP THREAD
psychmonky
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psychmonky   Email psychmonky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scrub you aren't out! You have a whole year!

--------------------
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Posts: 508 | From: Washington, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll keep looking

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 850 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psychmonky
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psychmonky   Email psychmonky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TTT for any one who didn't see it before.

--------------------

Posts: 508 | From: Washington, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jtbluefeather871
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtbluefeather871   Email jtbluefeather871   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still a newbie builder, but I'm keeping my eyes open for something!

--------------------
I learned "Semper Fi" as a Marine, and have lived it every day since.

Posts: 120 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SportHunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 25506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SportHunter   Email SportHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought some older straight grained yard sticks from goodwill but may use them for my tillering tree since it would only make a kids bow with the thickness. Still keeping and eye out for supplies.
Posts: 1391 | From: IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AKmud
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AKmud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SportHunter:
Bought some older straight grained yard sticks from goodwill but may use them for my tillering tree since it would only make a kids bow with the thickness. Still keeping and eye out for supplies.

Glue them together and make a laminate bow!
Posts: 347 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SportHunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 25506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SportHunter   Email SportHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AKmud:
quote:
Originally posted by SportHunter:

Glue them together and make a laminate bow!
I only got the two that were there so I would need a few more or some other material to do a laminate bow.
Posts: 1391 | From: IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psychmonky
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6210

They should be the perfect thickness for backing...splice them and find something to glue em to!

--------------------

SportHunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 25506

I think I found materials. Here is a pic of bed slats that came with a king sized platform bed frame. Switched over to low profile box springs so these were sitting around in a stack. They are laminated with about 7 thin layers and act as a spring for a mattress. They are 3/8" x 2 3/8" x 37 3/4". Should be able to make a pyramid style bow out of them.

-

dinorocks
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dinorocks   Email dinorocks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and I were viewing a bunch of Trad Gang forum posts last Sunday morning and came across the scavenger bow challenge. We had fun brainstorming about what we could use to make a bow and came up with the following idea. We didn’t see a minimum age for this contest so my son Colton (age 8) will enter and I will help him along as needed (he is the one who had the most input on the idea and, at his young age, already has three bows under his bib belt.

We will use an old hockey stick with a broken blade for the bow, a section of a hockey puck for the tip overlays, netting from an old hockey net for building up the handle, and hockey tape to wrap the handle. We plan to keep the original hockey stick lettering on the back of the bow.

We searched for a bunch of old hockey sticks and found one that may work…it appears to have a white wood core (hickory and ash are common woods used for making hockey sticks) with a darker laminated wood on the sides. We are hoping that the laminate on one side of the bow will hold up and not separate from itself or the white wood core. Because this bow will be my son’s, we can make it a bit lighter and hopefully not strain the bow wood too much.

Regarding the tip overlays, we think that the hard black plastic puck material should serve its purpose…we will need to figure out the best way to cut it and glue it to the bow.

Because the hockey stick shaft is narrow, we decided that we could keep with the hockey theme and use netting from an old hockey net to build it out a bit and create some “ribbing” for gripping and an arrow rest. Old hockey tape will be use to hold the netting in place.

We assume someone has also come up with this idea in the past…any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dino and Colton

-
Hockey stick

-
Hockey stick shaft text

-
Close up of hockey stick shaft wood

--------------------
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow." GD

Posts: 367 | From: Lancaster, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coaster500
Contributor 2014
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant, can't wait to see you pull it off!!!!!

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4763 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psychmonky
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6210

Awesome! Of course there isn't a minimum age! Love to see the young ones getting involved!

--------------------

okie64
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okie64   Email okie64   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats gonna be nice Dino. Good luck to you and your son on the build. Im still lookin for something to use for mine. [Smile]
Posts: 776 | From: Muldrow,OK. | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SportHunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 25506

The hockey stick is a great idea, really want to see the outcome.
fujimo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fujimo   Email fujimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
really novel idea- will keep watching!
Posts: 1888 | From: Queen Charlotte Islands, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©