Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Trad Bowhunting & Wilderness Podcast
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Brian Kelly

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Bow building

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bow building
Boutdoors
Member # 37299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boutdoors   Email Boutdoors   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
Have been bowhunting off and on for over 30 years and am interested in building a bow. My question. Which method is better for building your bow the heat box or the strip heater? Which method is better and why?
Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The box, better heat and you can use the box for other bow projects
Posts: 7673 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Most
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Most   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Most   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used the bingham box plan, and havent looked back.....

--------------------
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------ Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Posts: 1000 | From: Adkins Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sarrels
SPONSOR
Member # 18607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sarrels   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sarrels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are gonna build a few bows the box. If you are gonna build 5 a week the strips. Depends on where you want to go.

--------------------
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Gen. 27.3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sarrels Archery

Posts: 301 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Tracks
SPONSOR
Member # 19120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Tracks   Author's Homepage   Email Two Tracks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hows come the box heat is better Roy?
The box will need less cash up front. The cure time will be around 6 hours.
Strips will get you done in 1/4 of that. maybe less.
Also with the strips you can set your form up and leave it there. Forms are heavy and you will most often need to pick them up and stick them into a box.
You will cry the first time you cut your strips in half and you will cuss like a drunken sailor the 2nd time.
I am still using my first set of strips.almost 10yrs old now
I also have a new supplier that is making strips for me that are about half again as thick as the old ones. They are working out real nice for me and a few other bowyers
You will always use a heat box for many other tasks like drying wood or gluing on overlays.
Thats my thoughts anyhow.
CTT

--------------------
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Two Tracks Bow & Wool Company

Posts: 5698 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cause you can use the box for drying, heating , whatever ya want. All ya can use strips for is limbs... Chuck if ya wanna use them dumb strips then have at it son... [laughing]
Posts: 7673 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Tracks
SPONSOR
Member # 19120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Tracks   Author's Homepage   Email Two Tracks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. Ya talked me into it.

The box is more virsatile, BUT
I still don't know why the HEAT is better.

[goldtooth]

--------------------
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Posts: 5698 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

Ok smarty pants:)
Canadabowyer
Contributor 2014
Member # 14341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canadabowyer   Email Canadabowyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both and not having to lift that heavy loaded form into the oven is worth the price of the strips not to mention the time savings.The oven is very useful for drying the finish on bows and cureing risers that I have glued up.Also I am able to use MDF as forms with the strips without the forms warping in the oven and MDF is much easier to rout and shape than plywood when building a new form. So its easy---- get both. [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Posts: 659 | From: Francios Lake, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Tracks
SPONSOR
Member # 19120

RIGHT ON Robert! Just the way I roll.
Take that Roy,

--------------------
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

Ya big meanie............... [Smile]
Two Tracks
SPONSOR
Member # 19120

I am sorry buddy.
Hey! That yew bow looks really nice man. [thumbsup]

It is true though, Strips can make some glass bows quick and easier(no lifting) but a heat box is good for lots of things.
I have both.
CTT

--------------------
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

I wouldn't know about strips, I never made a glass bow.
Cataska Mtn
Member # 37280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cataska Mtn   Email Cataska Mtn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never made a glass bow either... WHAT are Strips?

Robert

Posts: 5 | From: tn | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

They are heater strips about as wide and as long as a bow limb, you affix them to glass bow limbs at glue up to cure the glue quicker.

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©