Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Robin bamboo build along (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Robin bamboo build along
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Harper   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't bore you with the details of shaping the tips and handles. I have a video series showing how I do that if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY911kAHU1Q&list=PL66EAAA8FA3ED0C0E

My handle shapes have been evolving over the last year, though. I used to only put a contour right below the arrow shelf. Now, I've found that if I narrow the back end a little, too, it feels more comfortable. It enhances the palm swell. This is my first time making the back contour go all the way around, creating kind of a bulb-shaped handle.

-

Here's a couple of pictures of the tip (before sanding).

-

-

Once I got everything shaped the way I wanted, I sanded everything down to 400 grit. Then I used some white India Ink and a fountain pen I got at Michaels to write on it. I used white with the idea that when the Osage begins to darken, the white will be more visible.

-

I used to use a sharpie because it was easy, but it was also fat, bulky, and ugly. Then I read a thread where Eric Krewson recommended acrylic ink and a fountain pen, so I went and got some at Michaels. I found it difficult to write with. I got black for lighter wood and silver for darker wood. I could not get the silver to work at all, which is why I got this white India Ink. The black worked, but it was difficult. I don't know if the problem is with the pen, the ink, or me. I got a really fine pen because I wanted to be able to write small, but it grabs when I try to write with it, and it's just difficult to write smoothly.

I used to put on a few layers of finish, then the writing, then the last layer. That way, it would be easy to get off if I needed to without removing wood. But I decided this time that since I struggle so much with writing, I'd try to write on bare wood and see if it was any easier. It wasn't. I couldn't get it to write at all at first. Then I found that if I shook the pen until some white ink dropped out of it, it would write a little. It was a mess.

I called the bow "Robin" since Robin gave me the bamboo. Besides, I like that name.

-

Next, I'll put a finish on it.

--------------------
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Posts: 408 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigbob2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbob2   Email bigbob2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lovely bow Sam, you do great work!
Posts: 1879 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Harper   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, bigbog2!

--------------------

Posts: 408 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice work Sam - thanks for posting. Love those tips!

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice job sam

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mt1761
Member # 41953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mt1761   Email mt1761   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first post on TradGang. I've really enjoyed lurking and following this build-along. Beautiful bow, and great presentation of the process, Sam. Thanks very much.
Posts: 8 | From: Jacksonville, TX | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trux Turning
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trux Turning   Email Trux Turning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking bow and build along!
Posts: 1818 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robin
Member # 7520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robin   Email robin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sam, please do give us an update on the performance, speed when using this "hard" boo...

for those who are interested, here are some of the boo i harvested.

Pic of mature boo, i normally scrap off the rind to confirm that it is mature boo before harvest.

-

-

all stacked up and ready for air drying
 -

-

Posts: 60 | From: malaysia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

I don't have a chronometer, Robin, but I'll do some comparing and contrasting with my other bow similar to this one and say what I think. I have yet to shoot this bow from full draw. It'll be tomorrow before I put the final coat of finish on it.

--------------------

Ice Mike
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ice Mike   Email Ice Mike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Sam! You have a whole lot of talent my friend...

When I first started, my drive was all about getting a bow that shot really well that I could be proud of. Since I have accomplished that, my drive has decreased a a tad...well, with the accomplishment and the fact that I am moving and trying to adjust to a new place...anyway..

It's people like you that swoop in and save the day..I get on here and read this thread and it gives me inspiration to clear out a spot in the new place and get back to work!!

Thanks for your efforts and for sharing Sam. God Bless.

Posts: 156 | From: Louisiana | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Don't sell your wood or tools, Mike! I got burned out on making bows for a few years, then the bug bit me again. There are so many designs throughout history that there's always something new to try.

--------------------

Ice Mike
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ice Mike   Email Ice Mike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No fear of that Sam! My tools aren't going anywhere!
Posts: 156 | From: Louisiana | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Last night and today, I put a finish on it. I didn't take any pictures. I'll just give you a brief explanation of what I did.

I used what used to be called "Thunderbird," but is now called "Kwick Klean Sealer." According to 3 Rivers Archery, "starts out as a lacquer and dries to a tough polyurethane," which means it dries quickly on any oily wood.

I got some PreVal sprayers, which you can buy with or without jars. I got a couple with jars so I could mix my stuff. I put 80% Thunderbird and 20% lacquer thinner in there, then sprayed three coats of the glossy finish, waiting 12 minutes between coats. Bob Sarrels told me the glossy stuff is harder and more durable than the satin.

He also told me it takes about six hours for it to convert to a polyurethane, so it's important to put all the coats on within that time. I let it do its thing over night, and this morning, I put one coat of Satin polyurethane from a spray can. I got the Minwax fast-drying polyurethane. I'm not sure if it's still available, but Bob told me I could also use Rustoleum Ultra Cover Matte Clear. I'm going to get some of that as soon as I run out of the Minwax.

And that's it for the finish. I'm working on a handle wrap right now. I'll post pictures later when I'm done.

--------------------

horseapple
Contributor 2016
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horseapple   Author's Homepage   Email horseapple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent job Sam as mentioned on the other site, I would like to get a few pieces of The bamboo preferably some that hasnt had the rind scraped off. Its definitely not the same stuff as wingnut used to sell, his was alot thinner and the power fibers were tighter.
Posts: 991 | From: Ada, OK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Thanks, J.D. I sent you an email.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©