Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Robin bamboo build along (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Robin bamboo build along
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Harper   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooo! Looky what I just found!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=006437

It would be so much better to see it done in video, though. I'm slow when it comes to these things.

--------------------
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Posts: 408 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea when I wanted to do mine, It was like a secret, From what I read, the guy did not want to give out the Info.

so I wrapped mine about 20 times before I got it.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubby
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubby   Email bubby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a how to over on P.A. where I put tape on the grip area with tape sticky side out, you get a perfect fit on any shape
Posts: 239 | From: red bluff, california | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Harper   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bubby, why don't you give us a link?

--------------------

Posts: 408 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubby
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubby   Email bubby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39604.0.html
here it is, wasn't sure about cross link's between sites, surprisingly simple but it work's, if the leather is super heavy you just cut a hair away from the tape

Posts: 239 | From: red bluff, california | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Smart! That is so simple! Thanks, bubby!

--------------------

Eric Krewson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Krewson   Email Eric Krewson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another way to get the leather to fit an odd shaped handle. My leather isn't thick, probably 1 or 2 oz. I like to roll the top and bottom edge in for a more finished look.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000052

Posts: 4116 | From: Florence Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

That's very tidy, Eric. Thanks!

--------------------

Green
Contributor 2016
Member # 25862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green   Email Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't make bows, but I do follow all of y'all's work here on the bench, because you just never know. This build along of Sam's was particularly interesting because, heck he just has a way with wood and words that's hard to turn away from, and this bamboo sparked my interest as well.

I had the opportunity to visit with Sam briefly this morning, and to look at this bow. An absolutely beautiful job, and watching over his shoulder on the practice range proved that the end results are well worth all of the details. Congrats Sam on another fine looking bow!

--------------------
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Posts: 3365 | From: Kempner, TX | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Thanks Rob. That was a good shoot this morning! That was my first time out there.

--------------------

robin
Member # 7520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robin   Email robin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sam, thanks for the great build along using my boo. Glad you like the boo. I have also learn much form your building along particularly the area of putting shims to retain the recurve.

I have not started any recurve yet. I am still at the reflex long bow area. Will defintately seek your help if I need some inputs on recurve........rob

Posts: 60 | From: malaysia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

Robin, I think the thing that helped the most in keeping my curves in was using those tiny c-clamps and that string. Of course, without the shims, it might've lost some during shooting, but as it is, it's basically a static recurve since the tips don't bend at all. It turned out to be a nice bow. I took it for a spin at a 3D shoot yesterday.

--------------------

steadman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a great build and an even better bow! Love the lines. Thanks for taking the time [thumbsup]

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4838 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Draffish
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draffish   Email Draffish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the great build along sam, bow looks awesome.
the leather dye i used to use when book binding was the fiebings lots of nice colours to choose from and not badly priced and had good even cover
agin thanks for the build along

--------------------
live free die young

Posts: 105 | From: england | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Harper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21030

I use those alcohol based Fiebings leather dyes to dye my bamboo, but the guy at Tandy told me he thought they were going to stop making it. He said they already can't sell it in 30 states, and more states are being added to the list, so he figures they'll go to water based dyes. That's a bummer. I have noticed, though, that when I use the alcohol based dye on leather, it makes the leather hard. I have a hard time getting an even coat with it anyway. I like the antique better because although I can't get as many colours, I find it easier to use, and I like the way it looks.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©