Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 54" Hybrid Build-Along (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: 54" Hybrid Build-Along
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JGR1269   Email JGR1269   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
I use the radius on my riser template to mark the shape of the sight window.
 -
I use a 16" riser so I mark the fadeouts at 8" each way from center then I mark them 1 1/4" wide.
 -
I mark the tips at 5/8" so I have some wiggle room when I take the limbs down to width.
 -
I connect the marks from the tip to the center of the bow on both ends on the shelf side of the bow.
 -
I connect the marks on the other side from the tips to the fadeouts. Since my riser is offset on this side I finish the line with masking tape to get the curve of the offset.
 -

My plan is to glue up tomorrow after work.

Posts: 100 | From: Bolivar, New York | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bornofmud
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bornofmud   Email bornofmud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genius! Love the idea of laying out before glue up, surprised it hasn't come up before! Great build along, thanks for sharing.
Posts: 333 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swissbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swissbow   Email Swissbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides the visual effect of the Bow Tuff do you think it also increases performance ? Have you eventually compared bows with and without it ?

Posts: 873 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JGR1269   Email JGR1269   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't compared to see if there is a difference. Chris Hachworth lays his glass out the same as I do, so Chris, we are geniuses!
Posts: 100 | From: Bolivar, New York | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Yeah Chris, I spelled your name wrong. It's too early in the morning. The main reason I use the CoreTuff is to reduce the thickness of my tapers so they bend easier up the belly ramps during glue up. Plus I like the looks of them.
chackworth3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chackworth3   Author's Homepage   Email chackworth3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about the genius part but don't worry about misspelling my name, it's been done before JOHN! [laughing]
Posts: 575 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Wow! You Texans sure are uptight about your name being misspelled.
chackworth3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chackworth3   Author's Homepage   Email chackworth3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[laughing]
Posts: 575 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Well, I had plans of getting it glued up tonight until I came home from work to a power outage. It's supposed to be off until 8pm so looks like it'll happen tomorrow night.
chall
2017 Contributor
Member # 39295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chall   Email chall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoying the post ,thanks.

--------------------
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Posts: 455 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goobersan
Contributor 2015
Member # 35312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goobersan   Email goobersan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Jon. So many tips and tricks I never thought of [banghead] With your help I will now become a level 2 bowyer apprentice [Not Worthy]

--------------------
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Posts: 774 | From: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

No problem guys. I think everyone should do a build along and share their secrets. We all benefit from others knowledge.
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

The power came back on but it was too late to glue up tonight so I prepped my bench with some freezer paper and laid out my glass and lams for glue up. I put a fresh layer of tape on the aluminum pressure strips and they're ready to go.
 -
I never really cared for the tape down method so I drilled holes through my form to run zip ties through for holding everything down until the air hose is inflated. I'll show how I do this during glue up.
 -
 -
Hopefully at this time tomorrow I'll have a bow in the oven curing.

JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

I got home from work tonight and turned the oven on so it would be up to temp when I finished the glue up. I mixed up the Smooth-On and put it in the oven to warm up while I put a layer of plastic wrap on the form.
 -
 -
I mixed up the Smooth-On and it's time to start spreading.
 -
Once the back glass and taper are covered I stack them and place them on the form. I glue up the back and belly ramps on the riser and place it in position on the form. Now I glue up the top and bottom belly glass, taper and CoreTuff and stack them on the bench.
 -
 -
I stack the belly lams on the back lams on the form and slide the ends of the limbs under the metal strip and up tight to the stop.
 -
 -

mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice build along!

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1480 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©