Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 54" Hybrid Build-Along (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: 54" Hybrid Build-Along
chall
2017 Contributor
Member # 39295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chall   Email chall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting.

--------------------
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Posts: 455 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JGR1269   Email JGR1269   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear with me guys. I don't get a lot of time to work on it.
Posts: 100 | From: Bolivar, New York | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take all the time you need as long as you hurry up.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1840 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never worked with glass or even made a laminated bow of any kind, but I am thoroughly enjoying this build along. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 1150 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JGR1269   Email JGR1269   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since my tiller is good and my limbs are straight, I can taper my limbs a little more from about 1" beyond the fades to the tips.
I retaped the limbs, marked the width and ran a straight edge from the fades to the marks at the tips and left a line to follow.

-

I take the material off on the disc/belt sander.

-

Now I clamp the bow to the bench and run a block with 80 grit on the limb edge to take out any high spots.

-

It's time to file the grooves through the tip overlays. I mark it out with tape so I have a good guide to keep them the same from side to side.

-

I file just deep enough so the top edge of the file is flush with the limb edge.

-

Now I connect the sides with tape as a guide.

-

I file all the way through the top layer of Bocote
until I hear the file hit the first glass layer.

-

Posts: 100 | From: Bolivar, New York | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

I measure down 3/8" from the straight groove and put a mark.

-

I apply a piece of tape as a guide.

-

Again, I file to the same depth as before.

-

Using a rotary file I remove the center section.

-

Then with a square file I level it out.

-

They're roughed in for now and I'll finish them up when I shape the tips.

chall
2017 Contributor
Member # 39295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chall   Email chall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff!

--------------------

Posts: 455 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LESKEN2011
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LESKEN2011   Email LESKEN2011   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff, Jon. Keep it coming!!

--------------------
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Posts: 284 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chackworth3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chackworth3   Author's Homepage   Email chackworth3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent way to do the tips!
Posts: 575 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

I worked on my tip overlays for a couple hours this afternoon. I pretty much have them where I want them other than a little final tweaking.

I marked out the rough shape by tracing the edge of a roll of masking tape to get the curves.

-

Then I remove the material on the spindle sander.

-

I put a piece of 1" aluminum tape on the limb at the base of the overlay to protect the glass. After some filing, sanding and shaping I end up with it roughed in.

-

Then I go to work on the belly side of the tip where I file another groove track for the string to lay in. This will give the end loop a consistent place to lay at brace. Here you can see it on the left side of the string groove.

-

I do the same on the right side and rough in the rest of the belly side of the tip.

-

I may need to do a little finish work to make it perfect but I'll do that upon final sanding.

-

Tomorrow I'll go the work on the spindle sander and get the grip area shaped.

bigbob2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbob2   Email bigbob2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome work!
Posts: 1877 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chall
2017 Contributor
Member # 39295

thanks for posting , it is looking awesome . I really like the tips.

--------------------

JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

I went to work this morning on shaping the grip and blending the handle into the fadeout area. I did everything on the oscillating spindle sander with a 2" drum and some 50 grit sanding sleeves. When I first started using this sander I went through the 80 grit 4 1/2" sleeve that came with it pretty fast. So, I came up with the idea of using three 2" x 1 1/2" sleeves that I could stack instead of one 4 1/2" sleeve. This way I can rotate them around when they start to wear and utilize the full face of the sleeve. It has worked great and I have done several bows with these 3 sleeves.

-

-

I start out by matching the throat area up to the 2" drum. Remember, I started with a 1 5/8" hole that I bored with a Forstner bit.

-

I also took some material off the heel of the grip since I cut it big to start with.

-

Now I start taking the width down in the throat area on both sides of the grip.

-

Here's a shot of the shelf edge after I get the rough shape I want.

-

After some work I have the whole grip and the palm swell where it feels perfect for my hand.

-

-

JGR1269
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39356

Now I'll go to work on blending the transition from the grip area to the limbs. I lay it out with masking tape and start sanding.

-

I rough it in close and will finish it up with some 80 grit on a block before final sanding.

-

I have to do a little detail work on the belly side where the limb blends into the heel of the grip.

-

I do the same thing on the thumb side of the riser and blend the limbs into the offset in the handle.

-

I'm pretty much done with roughing in and now it's ready to be hit with a sanding block and lots of hand work.

-

-

-

-

Maybe later today I can get back on it and get the limb edges rounded. I don't want to take much off so I can keep the poundage close to where it's at right now. This is going to be one of my hunting bows for this season so I have something special planned for the finish on it. I've never tried it before but if it works out the way I plan, it will definitely change the way I put a finish on my bows. Stay tuned...

chackworth3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chackworth3   Author's Homepage   Email chackworth3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuned in
Posts: 575 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©