Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » What did you do today, 2016 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 43 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  41  42  43   
Author Topic: What did you do today, 2016
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You old dogs [Wink]
Posts: 295 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomohr84
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomohr84   Email Jomohr84   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toasting some belly [Smile]  -
 -

--------------------
Jonathan Mohr

Posts: 284 | From: Crookston, Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomohr84
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jomohr84   Email Jomohr84   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and after
 -

--------------------
Jonathan Mohr

Posts: 284 | From: Crookston, Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunter15
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunter15   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I bought a 1"x4"x8' piece of straight grained hickory from Fleet Farm for $2.50. [Smile]
Posts: 171 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomohr84
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36067

Wish the Fleet where I live carried hickory. Actually they dont have any wood at the Fleet here. Nice find, you'll get a couple bows out of that!

--------------------
Jonathan Mohr

Jomohr84
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36067

Btw, I like your youtube video making a reflex de flex bow, very good and in depth.

--------------------
Jonathan Mohr

bowhunter15
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunter15   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Hoping to upload a few more this year. Our Fleet has random boards of Red oak, ash, aspen, black walnut, pine, soft maple, and cherry, sold by the board foot. I figure the hickory is good for backing, black walnut and cherry good for core, but they really don't have any dense belly woods. I might try making an experiment bow with an oak belly to hone my skills before trying with osage.
Posts: 171 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomohr84
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36067

I've made a few red oak bows. I've had good luck heat treating the belly on red oak, I have thousands of shots through one I made 4 years ago. I prefer hickory now, but would like to try white oak. I had some boards cut from a white oak felled on our property, and have also cut some nice backings from it. It seems more dense and the early growth isn't as porous as red oak.

--------------------
Jonathan Mohr

Mike Mecredy
SPONSOR
Member # 8133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mecredy   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Mecredy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far today, I ground down some longbow limbs, I inset two logo medallions into two bows I'm completing today, I got a riser block ready to cut, and I still have to cut out the riser, glue up a longbow, rough out two grips/shelf/sight windows, glue on grips and tips. and if time permits, ship out a recurve and a longbow with which I'm almost done.

*update* (Edit) I didn't make it to the Post office today, but I got another bow glued up, and tips and grips on another longbow

--------------------
-Maddog
TGMM Family of the bow

Maddog Archery
USAF, Retired
Minidoka Bowmen
A.C.B.C.S.

Posts: 2112 | From: Pahrump Nevada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2013
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a lot to do with only half a day to go Mike.

I'm leaving early to hit the PO on the way home and drop off a couple of long overdue bows. I have one more to send once I hear back from the recipient with an address that the USPS doesn't tell me is invalid. It probably is fine and the computer algorithm is just not flexible enough, but I don't want to chance it.

And a haircut. Long overdue for one of those too.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 1961 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got that tumor taken out of my shoulder/back today..it was the size of a tennis ball. I havnt been doing any bow work or shooting in several months because of it. I'll be back to normal in 3 weeks..
Posts: 3489 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish you a speedy recover Robert..
Posts: 10446 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2013
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's good news! Wishing the speediest of recoveries!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 1961 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the best Robert. I hope you recover 100%.

I went to Rockler today and got a fence and resaw fence for my bandsaw. New urethane tires too.

Then I stopped at a hardwood store and grabbed a bunch of ipe and Bolivian rosewood.

Came home to find a big package of osage waiting on the porch.

Bow wood gatherin days are good days.

Then I went out and put another coat of finish on a bow rack I'm working on.

Posts: 2274 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jomohr84
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36067

Prayers for your speedy recovery Robert

--------------------
Jonathan Mohr

This topic comprises 43 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  41  42  43   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©