Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Hiding sight holes=full customization (pics added) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hiding sight holes=full customization (pics added)
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I purchased this early 70s bow off the big auction site. I knew that site holes had been drilled in the riser, and was ok with that........ until the bow arrived. Then I decided to put my skills to the test and try to hide the holes. From there it turned into a full blown customization. I haven't got pics of all the phases, but here are before and afters of the inlay to get ya started [Wink]
 -
 -

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 718 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fujimo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fujimo   Email fujimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what wood di you use for the inlay- very nicely done
Posts: 3203 | From: Queen Charlotte Islands, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaninoz
Member # 16188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaninoz   Email alaninoz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the grain matching of the inlay.

--------------------
Alan

Posts: 88 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenBow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BenBow   Email BenBow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!

--------------------
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Posts: 5252 | From: Sunny Rio Rancho, New Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typical2
2017 Contributor
Member # 33177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for typical2   Email typical2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. I would love to see a build along with a project like this.
Posts: 454 | From: Tustin, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.
The wood is actually apple from a log that I had saved for use in a smoker. The inlay is outlined in wood putty that I dyed black. My wood carving skills weren't as good as I hoped [Roll Eyes] I had tried using sandings from the bow and super glue to fill voids, but just didn't like the final look.

--------------------

Posts: 718 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wood carver 2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wood carver 2   Email wood carver 2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That turned out nice. It's a lot harder to do than it might seem at the beginning. [Smile]
Dave.

--------------------
" Vegetarian" a Native American term for bad hunter.

Posts: 1636 | From: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Alrighty got some more pics taken and loaded up.
The bow came with a plastic stick on rest. Even though they can be accurate, I much prefer to shoot off the shelf. So the second step was to crown the arrow shelf.
 -
 -
It's hard to see in the pics, but at the same time the handle also got narrowed with the cut in of a light thumb rest.
 -
 -

--------------------

Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

I had thought about trying my hand at checkering or stippling the grip, but I wasn't sure I'd like the extra texture. I wanted something with a little texture, but not a whole bunch. So this is what I came up.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

The final step was to dress up the tips. So I fired up the belt sander and a chainsaw file and went to town. Again I got into the stash of apple wood. All three lams are from the same cut of wood. However, the middle lam I soaked in black ink for a couple of days. It didn't soak up as much color as I hoped(that apple is pretty hard stuff), but still gave a good contrast.
Before
 -
After
 -
 -

--------------------

jhk1
Contributor 2017
Member # 36476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jhk1   Email jhk1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work!
Posts: 380 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice details, to call it your own. [Cool]
Posts: 713 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Thanks guys.
I think it turned out pretty good for a "practice" project. This was the first time I did an inlay, crowned and shaped a riser, and my first set of tips. I have refinished a couple bows before. And I've done some simple wood burning, but never on a contoured surface. That added a degree of difficulty I didn't expect.
The old Black Hawk Avenger has been renamed the Black Hawk Re-venger, as it has been re-built and re-finished.

--------------------

Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 561 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stujay
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stujay   Email stujay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]
Posts: 2380 | From: Northern Idaho | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©