Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Building a Hickory Selfbow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Building a Hickory Selfbow
shootinwithJesus
Member # 39668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shootinwithJesus   Email shootinwithJesus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! Read a lot on the forum here but rarely ever post. Ordered tools and a Hickory Stave from Raptor Archery that will be here this coming Monday. This will be my first ever attempt at building a bow of any kind. Would like to create this post in order to have access to the knowledge you guys have. For now, any tips for a beginner? I have numerous custom bows, so I have a good vision of what I would like my ultimate finished product to be. Any basic guidance before I get started? Thanks in advance.

--------------------
With Christ in mind

Posts: 13 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osagetree   Author's Homepage   Email Osagetree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure it's good and dry, 2" @ fades tapering to tips & go slow on tillering or experience string set.
Just my two cents, others with more experience using hickory should chime in.....

--------------------
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Posts: 3900 | From: Ohio, South Point | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Osage tree has good advice.

My other advice: for your first bow:
Make it wide, make it long, make a simple longbow, go slow.

Posts: 2983 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2x what both said. take and post pics as you go. They really help us help you.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13213 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shootinwithJesus
Member # 39668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shootinwithJesus   Email shootinwithJesus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will definitely post photos along the way. Materials will be in tomorrow. Thanks guys!

--------------------
With Christ in mind

Posts: 13 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd give the hickory stave a week of two to acclimatize to your area's R/H before jumping into it.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13213 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TradBowyer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TradBowyer   Author's Homepage   Email TradBowyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will need some kind of drying box if working hickory in NC. Trust me on this. Hickory has to be at least 6% moisture or it will take set and be sluggish. I'm in pa and work a lot of hickory. I use a moisture meter every day on my stuff and I also keep it in the drying box until it's sealed up. But hickory is a good Wood and forgiving of minor flaws. Take your time and you will get a bow that shoots
Posts: 253 | From: Greensburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macbow   Email macbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Osagetree.
When you say take your time on tillering to avoid string follow.
What does,that mean exactly?

By taking time is it to remove a little wood exercise then wait a day.
In Other words once tillering is started,it should not be finished in a day?
Thanks

--------------------
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Posts: 3291 | From: Warsaw, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shootinwithJesus
Member # 39668

I'm no longer in NC the military has moved me to Hawaii since. I assume that will make it even more of a challenge given the humidity?

--------------------
With Christ in mind

LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macbow:
Osagetree.
When you say take your time on tillering to avoid string follow.
What does,that mean exactly?

By taking time is it to remove a little wood exercise then wait a day.
In Other words once tillering is started,it should not be finished in a day?
Thanks

I won't speak for him, but when I second his thoughts I mean don't settle. I other words, tiller carefully. Few scrapes, escercise, check tiller.
Posts: 2983 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Krewson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Krewson   Email Eric Krewson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a tillering gizmo;

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

Posts: 4125 | From: Florence Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X'2 on gizmo.
Posts: 11400 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Flanrey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Flanrey   Email David Flanrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X's 3 on the gizmo.

Also, on the exercise of bow as tillered.

Also, don't try to make it too heavy a bow for your first.

Posts: 872 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KellyG   Email KellyG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to watch you build it. SO lets get started. [bigsmyl]
Posts: 4314 | From: Riley, KS | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shootinwithJesus
Member # 39668

Haha. It arrives today (Hawaii time) Kelly! I'm as stoked as you. Nervous, but stoked.

--------------------
With Christ in mind

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©