Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Okinawa bow build (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okinawa bow build
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for passion for knowledge   Email passion for knowledge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you might be a mountain biking fan.

Riding trails is about the only thing as much fun as archery, IMHO.

--------------------
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Posts: 246 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lighterknot
Member # 45649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lighterknot   Email Lighterknot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do a fare amount of mountain biking but mostly ride my dirtbikes. Trail riding is a lot of fun on both of them though.
Posts: 23 | From: Japan | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lighterknot
Member # 45649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lighterknot   Email Lighterknot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decided to try my hand at using steam to get some of the twist out.
 -
 -

Is it possible to ruin the wood if you steam it for too long?

Posts: 23 | From: Japan | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lighterknot
Member # 45649

Starting to bend a good bit. I'm thinking one more time with the heat to try to get rid of the last bit of twist and it should be ready for tillering.

-

Lighterknot
Member # 45649

I need some help guys. I removed the thick tips and built a form to make a D/R bow and not sure if my beginner eyes can see proper tiller with the extra curves added in. Thoughts? I see a stiff spot on the far right just before the reflex and a weak spot just inside of that. Middle to outer of left limb before the reflex still looks a tad stiff as well to me. I'm wanting the left limb to be the bottom limb of the bow if possible.

-

Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when did you cut the wood? how dry is it? The bend looks pretty good but if the wood is still wet, bending it is not good.
Looks like a molly.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1830 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lighterknot
Member # 45649

Cut it a month or so ago and immediately shaped it and steamed probaly 3/4s of the total length to try to straighten it out. I read that after steaming wood the remaining moisture is driven out pretty quickly. Wish I had a moisture meter to know for sure but it feels very dry compared to the other staves from the same tree that I haven't touched yet.

What's a molly?

EwokArcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EwokArcher   Email EwokArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Molly is our slang for a molligabet (not sure how to spell it) which is a bow with a wide thin bending section and narrow thick tips that act as levers.
I'd say your wood is still too moist to be bending it right now.

Posts: 242 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EwokArcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EwokArcher   Email EwokArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know that steam would aide in the drying process. I look forward to more input on this I know some ppl will wait for like a week after steaming for moisture content to equalize before going on with the tillering process. I'm not that patient though.
Posts: 242 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'd say your wood is still too moist to be bending it right now"

X2

can you weight it, keep it inside with the A/C
and weigh it in a week.

--------------------

Posts: 1830 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lighterknot
Member # 45649

No central a/c here in Okinawa and 100% humidity is very common so we have 3 small dehumidifier in our house. I've had the bow in the utility room with one of the dehumidifiers for weeks so I'm sure that has helped. Wish I had a scale accurate enough to weigh the bow.
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

It has to be dry.

--------------------

Lighterknot
Member # 45649

What is dry? It's at 13% moisture according to the little handheld moisture meter I got
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

give it 2 or 3 more days with the dehumidifier and check it again.

I would bring it back in the house when you are not working on it.

Good luck with it.
I looks great.

--------------------

Lighterknot
Member # 45649

Thanks for the input and humoring all my questions. I did some reading on moisture content and it seems like areas with high relative humidity(over 60%) you can work with wood that is in the 11-13% range but if you are in a dry climate(below 30% humidity) you want the wood to be closer to 5-7%.

Already started working one on of the other staves while I let this one sit for a few more days. Man this is fun!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©