Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » My first attempt with Yew (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My first attempt with Yew
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bow is 58" from nock to nock. It's 43 lbs at 25". The tip overlays are sheep horn. The skins are broad banded water snakes. I used tru oil for the finish. The stave was pretty much flat with a hint of deflex. I left it alone and just flipped the tips. I made string grooves on the belly side of the recurved tips. That is the first time I have done that. I enjoyed working with yew. It's much softer than the osage I'm used to. If I looked at this bow the wrong way it would get a dent in it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1164 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

-

I didn't notice I had put the string on upside down until I went to nock the arrow for the full draw picture.

-

-

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1164 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A real Nice one Clint

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1451 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice bow. Yew is like jello compared to Osage. It's always amazing how much energy can be stored in such a light weight wood.
Posts: 2931 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a nice bow.

Yep, yew works like butter.

Posts: 2296 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's Ok. [Smile]

And your elbow is too high.. [Smile]

Posts: 10771 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buemaker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buemaker   Email Buemaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one. [Smile]
Posts: 2006 | From: Norway | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igor
Contributor 2015
Member # 12692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igor   Email Igor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!

--------------------
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Posts: 1182 | From: Woodbury, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool bow, Clint. I think I like those water snakes better than any other. Well done.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 12787 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twitchstick
Contributor 2016
Member # 19043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twitchstick   Email twitchstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice!
Posts: 2940 | From: utah | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's it shoot, Clint? I see you cut a small shelf into it. I didn't cut a shelf in my yew bow and its wider at the rest than any of my other bows, but it shoots as well or better than a lot of my other bows.
Posts: 10771 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

quote:
Originally posted by Pat B:
Cool bow, Clint. I think I like those water snakes better than any other. Well done.

They are quickly becoming my favorite skins Pat. It's hard to get a good match because of the blotchy pattern. They look the best on white woods. The darker osage takes away from the pattern.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
How's it shoot, Clint? I see you cut a small shelf into it. I didn't cut a shelf in my yew bow and its wider at the rest than any of my other bows, but it shoots as well or better than a lot of my other bows.

Roy, I've started cutting in a shelf like that on my last few bows and I really like it. The bow shoots good. I am working on a lighter weight set of arrows for it. I was using heavier arrows than what it needed.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Well you can get away with a little heavier arrow with the cut in shelf. I am always a little hesitant cutting into the side of a wooden riser. And somehow it just bugs me even doing so for a few reasons. But it does have it's advantages.
mwosborn
Contributor 2016
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done!

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1332 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©