Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Limb Length

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Limb Length
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wolftrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this subject has come up a zillion times but cannot remember the topic.
My arrow shelfs are 1 1/4" above center. Is it better to shorten the top or bottom limb...?

Posts: 607 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Measure up 2 inches from the center of the bow. That is your arrow shelf. Then measure down 2 inches from the center of the bow, that is the bottom of your 4 inch handle. Then measure out 4 inches from the top and bottom of your 4" handle and that is the end of your riser. Leave the limbs equal length from the end of your riser.
Posts: 10446 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about the limb shortening thing. I feel more comfortable tillering to the same length.

Who all here shortens lower limbs? Do you think it's beneficial?

Some of the Hill bows were built that way but I never saw the reason for it.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2483 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Equal length limbs, throats of grip at center of bow.
Posts: 2863 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope that made sence.
Posts: 10446 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Hope that made sence.

I guess I should of worded it different. If I have to shorten a limb..? Which limb..? You said bottom, good enough to proceed.
I have a good memory its just short. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 607 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2016
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some place the handle below the center of the bow making the lower limb shorter. (Hunting the Osage Bow - Dean Torges). It is a "balancing" in the hand thing.

You can leave your limbs the same length and tiller appropriately.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1289 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©