Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 2017, What did you do today? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 46 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  44  45  46   
Author Topic: 2017, What did you do today?
beachbowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 3597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachbowhunter   Email beachbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to get two TD LBs done by early Feb. I have them all the way to the riser shaping and finishing stage. Had to order new 50 grit spindle sanding sleeves. The marblewood and cocobolo are gumming up the works!

--------------------
Ishi was a Californian [Cool]

Posts: 3316 | From: CA ... where the turf meets the surf | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Received my first ever package from Binghams.
Guess the only thing holding me back on my first build is me (and my three kids basketball schedules).

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 643 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for passion for knowledge   Email passion for knowledge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made myself a bow sock out of an old wool blanket I found in a dumpster! Cleaned up as good as new - waste not, want not - yes, I'm a cheap so-and-so!

Got my tri lam ready for final tillering with the short string.

--------------------
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Posts: 246 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my tri lam ready for final tillering with the short string.

Pictures? [Smile]

Posts: 11079 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for passion for knowledge   Email passion for knowledge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made 9 bows so far.

I have 5 shooters of varying weight.

The ones that broke are the ones I tried to document the making of in pictures.

If I post pics of this one and it breaks, I'll blame you, Roy!

--------------------

Posts: 246 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, never mind. LOL
Posts: 11079 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning I got a ring chased and front profile roughed out for an EWB black cherry bomb. Depending on whether or not I make it to work tonight I'll get the side profile shaped and round it out.

Kyle

Posts: 64 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Finished the tri lam.

Decided against letting Roy jinx me, so no in-progress photos!

Will post photos once I have the finish on it and I have a photographic assistant for full draw pic.

Came in exactly the same weight as my maple backed ipe - #47 @ 28

Looking forward to shooting it.

I'll likely twist up a string for it tomorrow, if all goes to plan.

--------------------

Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!! I'm sure you'll give details wen you show it off. but what layers did you go with?

It's been very slow at the store, so I got the cherry warbow roughed out and ready to start bending with the long string. The goal is 100-110# and it flexes on the floor like its about 150-200#. So I've got room to play.

Kyle

Posts: 64 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Hickory back
maple core
ipe belly
zebra wood riser and tip overlays

100-110 would be a tad heavy for me!

My heaviest bow is #60

The ones I've made are #30 - #42 - #51 - #54 - #47 - #47 in order of construction.

--------------------

Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shaped my grips on the three bows I got on my bench right now.
Posts: 363 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Got the finish done on the tri lam.

I'll post more bow photos on the original thread for this bow.

https://s25.postimg.org/hen2g8pfz/strung.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/ug3p8z7in/bow_sock.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/mm33nkzpr/bow_sock_closure.jpg

--------------------

John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally committed to getting some bows made. I think I made 2 bows last year. I hope to at least double that this year. I have a sweet little osage selfbow ready for finishing. It might be my swap bow depending on who I draw. It's currently pulling 43# at 28". I have some skins picked out for it.

I also got a hickory selfbow ready to tiller. Spent a couple hours on it today. I forgot how nice hickory is to work with. Like butter. It's been at least 10 years since my last hickory bow.

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6977 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talkingcabbage
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talkingcabbage   Author's Homepage   Email talkingcabbage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the shop all cleaned out from the last two months of projects. Pulled out some old arrows to re-fletch for a guy at work, and started on a knife for him as well. Got some spiral-wrap flu-flu feathers in so I can make some up for small game blunts. So far, been really slacking on the projects. It's just too dang cold in the garage! With any luck, I'll be able to insulate it this year so it'll be more comfortable next year.

Been doing a lot of bunny hunting with my beagles this year. Every time I go out I'm on the lookout for osage trees. Found some decent ones on my sister's place that I think I'm gonna cut down. I haven't built an osage bow for a few years, but I'm down to one stave, so I suppose I could use some more. Maybe cut some shorter pieces and mill them down for lams and risers on the glass bows too.

--------------------
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Posts: 782 | From: Ottumwa, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the hickory bending pretty good last night. 47# @ 28". Got some finessing to do and then I am going to toast the belly. I'll post some pics tonight.

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6977 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 46 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  44  45  46   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©