Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 2017 Bow Swap (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: 2017 Bow Swap
KellyG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KellyG   Email KellyG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post pics and updates. Ask question and fish for what folks like. Don't post who you are building for.

Also let me know if you have built for the person in the past I will swap you out.

Let me know before you ship if it is to a new person. Unless you know they have shipped already.

Have fun let the fun begin.

Posts: 4312 | From: Riley, KS | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breazyears
2017 Contributor
Member # 41150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breazyears   Email breazyears   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a name... he he he.

--------------------
theirs a fly in my soup

Posts: 305 | From: canada | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time for some fun to start!
Quick poll to see if my guy replies. Anyone have any objections if I make an English war bow? I'm going to be using persimmon to make an English long bow. But my staves are long enough at ~83" that I should be able to push to some pretty good weight if the wood will let me. I feel this should be a good design for such a hard compression strong wood. Plus I've been on a kick of wanting to make war bows lately.
So I'll make either a 100# warbow or an ELB of my guys preferred weight.

Kyle

Posts: 75 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for passion for knowledge   Email passion for knowledge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heaviest bow is #60.

After about 5 dozen arrows, I'd done.

The thought of pulling #100 is kinda scary.

The thing about war bows is that they were salvo weapons. A thousand archers could put 12,000 arrows a minute into the air. Accuracy was not an issue.

A completely different game to what I think most archers are doing these days.

--------------------
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Posts: 246 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gueezz I think that would break my arms
Posts: 378 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started playing with some spliced lams.

Black Walnut spliced to the paduk, with rock maple and african ebony then rock maple again in the splice as a detail.

Thoughts?

-

Posts: 378 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love reading the bow swap threads. It's awesome to see what you guys can come up with!
Posts: 451 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krasus if you make the splice more angled it makes the lams a good bit stronger and less 'temprimental' when plastered with epoxy at glue-up! Good combo though I've used it myself a few times.
Posts: 879 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenBow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BenBow   Email BenBow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had horrible luck using paduk in limbs. It must have a lot of oil in it that causes the glue joint to seperate. Be careful!

--------------------
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Posts: 5252 | From: Sunny Rio Rancho, New Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having some shoulder issues lately, 100# is way too much bow for me.

Krasus, I like the wood combo, they look good together.

Posts: 1148 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breazyears
2017 Contributor
Member # 41150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breazyears   Email breazyears   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually shoot 150#... its not easy being me. lol

--------------------
theirs a fly in my soup

Posts: 305 | From: canada | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to cut 100#er in half to be able to pull it.

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6987 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Thanks for the input about increasing the length of the taper on the limb splice Rob, and Galen thanks for the heads up on the oil in the paduk. Much appreciated!
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Scifres:
I'd have to cut 100#er in half to be able to pull it.

Me too!

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1479 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breazyears
2017 Contributor
Member # 41150

I couldn't handle a war bow.

--------------------
theirs a fly in my soup

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©