Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 2017 Bow Swap (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: 2017 Bow Swap
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like so far it's unanimous, making the warbow is a no go. But it'll probably be a couple weeks until I get started. I've got one more bow to get done first. Though I may go ahead and rough it out when the other bow is on the form cooling from a heat treat.

Krasus- that's gonna look real neat with it spliced like that.

Kyle

Posts: 82 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to try a hickory backed tri-lam for my trade bow. Got the hickory cut, core lams of hackberry tapered, and the osage belly lams cut. Hope to have it glued up in the next week or so. My smooth on supply is getting low, might need to order more before I can get started. Also need to splice my lams and get a handle block cut out.
Posts: 1151 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KellyG   Email KellyG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well sounds like some very nice bow in the wood works.

Dan I bet that combo will turnout one of the best bows ever. Osage belly, hackberry is so light and makes a good bow in its owe right. Then adds some hickory. I bet you get a narrow and light son of a bow.

Posts: 4314 | From: Riley, KS | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, we shall see. I plan to do a light heat treat to the hackberry lams to help with the performance.

I reworked my form to do a straight limbed bow, with 2-3" of reflex in the outer half of the limbs.

Posts: 1151 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breazyears
2017 Contributor
Member # 41150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breazyears   Email breazyears   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I got started on my guys bow today.
im going to have some spare time for the next couple of weeks, so my guy may get an early package in the mail.

--------------------
theirs a fly in my soup

Posts: 305 | From: canada | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This afternoon I got my bow roughed out and 90% floor tillered. I just gotta get the middle 12" moving a bit more to be happy. I'm guessing it's bending in the 80# realm right now. I'm gonna leave it in the house until this weekend to dry a bit more then I'll long string it and get it a bit closer to draw weight. I've never worked persimmon and don't know how well it'll take to a D belly. So I want it close to the full drae before I start pulling it from a full brace. I'll get it about 6" shy of weight on the long string so I have room to get it tracking right and not turn itself inside out and minimize the stress.

Kyle

Posts: 82 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So quick question everyone regarding shipping and duties. What's specific to your country regarding receiving a package? Anything to know regarding value of said item? That way the recipient dosent have to pay dues to get thier bow.

I know in canada I've never had to pay to receive a bow but not sure if that's cause the shipper said it was a gift..or had a low value attached to it. When I ship to the USA I usually just go over the boarder and mail it domestic.

Posts: 379 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for passion for knowledge   Email passion for knowledge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any info on shipping rules & regs could be useful.

I've had nightmares in the past, shipping stuff.

Shipped a bunch of personal stuff from UK to Canada last year.

3 day service turned into 3 months of battling with shipping company and customs, due to the shipper messing up the paperwork.

I'm a big fan of smooth!

--------------------
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Posts: 246 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fujimo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fujimo   Email fujimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know in canda- anything valued at over 20$ stands the chance of being opened and examined- and relevant duties applied.
in theory you can ship between us and canada- using a nafta certificate- makes it duty free' irrespective of value- we do it all the time for our products.

Posts: 3217 | From: Queen Charlotte Islands, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for passion for knowledge   Email passion for knowledge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some idiot decided that wood turning chisels constituted weapons!

I packed everything in front of them and asked if they thought anything in there could cause a problem.

They said everything was OK.

Then all hell broke loose.

Given the 5 hour time difference and dealing with customer service by phone, I was starting to lose my mind!

--------------------
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Posts: 246 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dean
Contributor 2014
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dean   Email Al Dean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada, Germany, Australia, South Africa, never had a problem shipping other than if damage or disappearance there is no recourse. You are out the item with no cost recovery.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 923 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2017 Bow trade bow
Canary and Cocobolo Riser with the same wood Mosaic stripe with Red Phenolic

-

1st stripe is the lower one

-

I cut and glued up the stripe wood

-

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breazyears
2017 Contributor
Member # 41150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breazyears   Email breazyears   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoping Mad Max got my name. lol.

--------------------
theirs a fly in my soup

Posts: 305 | From: canada | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your odds are 1 out of 16

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like good stuff guys! I really want to get in on this next year. I cut some more guava and it is drying so i will have several nice staves to chose from for next years build. Until then I will just be observing your work. Keep it up.

Aloha.

Msturm

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 573 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©