Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 2017 Bow Swap (Page 25)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28   
Author Topic: 2017 Bow Swap
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that these continue. Before I even joined TradGang, the bow swap threads were my favorites. I loved reading through and seeing all the WIP pictures and the finished products. Would be a shame to see it end.
Posts: 502 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately there is always at least one(usually more) that doesn't follow through or bugs out all together. In most cases others pitch in to be sure everyone gets a bow. Also, many folks wait til the last minute to get started and being that they are unfamiliar with the process they either don't complete in time or just drop out.
The cool thing about these bow trades is most are willing to help anyone that posts pics and presents problems they are having. This helps the newbie builder get his bow built and learn as he goes.
It's been a few years since I've been involved in a bow trade here or on PA. I just don't build as many bows as I used to.
Also, there is a lot of work and time involved heading up one of these trades. It's like hearding cats trying to keep everyone working on their bows so they can get it out on time. You would think 3 to 6 months would be enough time but life sometimes gets in the way.
I think Kelly has done a great job in the past but I can understand his frustration. I first got to know Kelly when he was in Iraq, trying to build a selfbow from found wood, using the exhaust from a big generator as a heat source for bending and straightening. When Kelly got back from his tour he killed a very respectable buck in his home, Kansas with a selfbow he built in Iraq.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe there could be some system of assigning a mentor with experience to the new bowyers. Mentoring online here on the Bench is good but a behind the scenes mentor would be on top of the problems before they arise.

Maybe we should establish a volunteer mentoring program here that has nothing to do with a swap?

Just thinking out loud and typing as I go.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3084 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SportHunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 25506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SportHunter   Email SportHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we should try and get this one finished so we have a clear slate for next year. Also I would like to suggest a few things that may improve the swap.

Hard deadlines. This would eliminate dragging it out too long. Maybe a target due date, one month last chance extended date then its over.

More people involved to assist with management, better communication on both sides should keep things on track better.

Require updates, frankly this has been a very boring thread with minimal pictures or updates. Hard to tell whats being done with no comments or picture posts.

Thats my 2c. I think we can do better.

Posts: 1751 | From: IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the average cost of shipping a bow, inside the 48 any way?

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 285 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$20 to $30 depending on how far. You can calculate the cost on USPS web site. I always ship USPS Priority Mail and don't add extra insurance. It comes with $50 insurance but they've never lost anything I've shipped with them over many years.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, that's not bad at all. Maybe I can get in on the 2019 swap.

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 285 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KellyG   Email KellyG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still need 3 bows is the update from my last count.
Any bowyers willing to help out shoot me a PM.

Posts: 4335 | From: Riley, KS | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KellyG   Email KellyG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to those who did not get a bow yet and for not jumping on here more. I have contacted all the bowyer who were supposed to finish out and they have not responded back. So I will need help.

Roy you up for making a bow?

Posts: 4335 | From: Riley, KS | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure Kelly, I'll volunteer the time it takes me to make a bow to help ya out. That would be between 30 to 40 hours time. If you or someone else volunteers the materials and shipping costs to cover my expenses to build a bow for a swap I was not entered in. That would amount to about $100.00.

I didn't enter this swap for a few reasons. One which is already being discussed in this thread. Another is, I have many bows I need to make already to meet my commitments to clubs and other guys I have agreed to make bows for. I'm not like the guys who backed out of this swap, I accept my responsibilities.

So sure Kelly, I will make a bow for the swap, if others pitch in to cover the materials and shipping, however it will be many months till I could do that. I still have 4 other bows to build yet.

Posts: 11587 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bert Frelink
Contributor 2013
Member # 8123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bert Frelink   Email Bert Frelink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, message send.
Bert

Posts: 866 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7924

Ok 1 down 2 to go. Thanks roy I may contact you if I don't get another to volunteer.
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's fine, Kelly.
Posts: 11587 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
SPONSOR
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Roy ends up building one I'll cover the materials.

--------------------
www.primaltechbows.com
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 2060 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Randy, you are a good dude. ^5 bud.
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©