Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 2017 Bow Swap (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: 2017 Bow Swap
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a good combo Max.
Posts: 1151 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dan

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's ok... [Smile]
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Razz]
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talkingcabbage
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talkingcabbage   Author's Homepage   Email talkingcabbage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still thinking about my victim, er, recipient. Not quite sure what to build. Guess I'll have to go trolling to see what pops up.

--------------------
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Posts: 793 | From: Ottumwa, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
passion for knowledge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for passion for knowledge   Email passion for knowledge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got mine on the go.

I'm just going to build the best I can based on what I've done so far. Something I'd be happy with, and hope it doesn't disappoint.

--------------------
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Posts: 246 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonna start grinding my lams tonight. Hickery lams with a tiger wood veneer under clear glass. Not sure about riser yet but it's gonna be a hill style so i can figure that out later
Posts: 379 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a start, but it'll be a lil while before I can finish. It all depends on how my eye heals up and when the doctor old me to lift more than a couple pounds. I've been okayed to move around and go for walks, though that doesn't work with a broken ankle. But I'm guessing it'll be a month or so until I can. But then I'll have another surgery and that'll reset for a bit.

But I've got the persimmon bow shaped out and almost floor tillered. I'm thinking about going a more primal knock design with the tips tapered and a bundle of thread built up to hold the string. And I might file a slight groove about the thread for a little assistance. The string design will be an idea I got from a warbow forum. One loop is a rat tail to adjustability and self tightening. The other will have a small loop where the string passes through itself to form another self tightening loop before the rat tail is hooked on. This makes for a string that tightens down and needs almost no knock to hold it in place but is still easily loosened on lighter bows. I tried ot on the last warbow attempt that was 100# at 25" when it went and it was easily loosened. I can shift gongs if there are any objections to these plans. I figured id might as well show a couple different ways of doing things to spread some ideas.

Kyle

Posts: 82 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a set back on mine. While sanding my hickory backing strip to final thickness at a friends, his sandpaper on the roll left go and pretty much destroyed my backing strip. Need to start over on the backing strip. I thought I'd be tillering mine by now.
Posts: 1151 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passion for knowledge:
Got mine on the go.

I'm just going to build the best I can based on what I've done so far. Something I'd be happy with, and hope it doesn't disappoint.

Me too!

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Tigerwood veneers with edge grain hickery core. Wood on the left is lace wood that I'm gonna use in the handle riser

Posts: 379 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Finally got a new backing strip cut and prepped, and glued the bow up today. Hope to get it unclamped and cleaned up tomorrow. Will try to get a pic up when I get that far.
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Look's good krasus

worked on mine some this weekend

--------------------

mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked a little bit this weekend. I am working on a new form for a recurve. I built the original form for my first recurve last summer and decided to tweak it a little bit before I make another. I guess I am using my victim as a "guinea pig". I am going to have to just guess on stack thickness for making weight.

I was also thinking it might be a good idea to say if we shoot 3 under or split. I don't think that was in the original sign up. If my guy sees this, I shoot 3 under.

Mitch

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Re sawed the veneers today and sanded them down some.
I'm going to wait till close to glueup to sand them to .030.

--------------------

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©