Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » SO YA WANNA BUILD A GLASS BOW ? (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: SO YA WANNA BUILD A GLASS BOW ?
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 10751 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy, you are wanting to make one aren't ya, that's why you keep checking the build.... [biglaugh]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 11276 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy, you are wanting to make one aren't ya, that's why you keep checking the build.... [biglaugh]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 11276 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess so....
Posts: 10751 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Well, got home and couldn't take it, ground the limbs to profile, note the dust collection. USE SOME!! Go slow , don't get the limbs hot...

-

Then to the big sander to get a perfectly straight edge on the limbs, also with dust collection, glass dust is bad for you. This sander will get the limb hot quick, so I go slower than with the disc sander...

-

Remember the mark you squared across limb at nock? I put a little mark on the edge so I can see it easy....

-

Then at 45* off back of bow I mark across limb(go the right way) on all 4 spots...

-

I file about 1/8" deep across limb leaving the line(this makes my string come out 3" shorter than bow length) on all spots...

-

Round the limbs over on all edges, never had a sliver lift and don't wanna...

-

Now string her up, my string is a bit short, so brace is a little high....

-

She is a bit heavy but still need to narrow and can trap if needed, will come out about 50#@ 28" I think.

-

So far I'm liking, the 60# with a 45# stack promises performance, the extra preload should keep her quiet, wish I'd done some fancy veneers!!
[biglaugh]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it looks like the extra reflex helped the tips hold a little more hook to them too!!! Exciting stuff!!!

--------------------
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 1771 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
 -

Thanks Roy
I needed some Fancy shootin duds.
I can hear better too.

Looking good Kenny

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1442 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice!!!!
Really like how it looks braced.

I'd say you've earned a PBR break [thumbsup]

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 386 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Thanks guys, the riser is 2" deep right now, won't take much overlays at all. The string isn't gonna lay on the limbs either, which I was wanting to avoid.

I like the look at brace too, when I narrow the tips, it may change but not much cause I'm gonna have to narrow the limbs a bit too to lose some weight...

Forgot to check tiller but I bet its close to even from the pic.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Nice ole boy..
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great. Can you show us the difference in profile strung and unstrung next to the standard KennyM longbow?

Thank you for such a thorough build along .... it's helped me realize I really need an edge sander ... and a drum sander lol.

Posts: 2931 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X2
Way to go Kenny

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1442 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goobersan
Contributor 2015
Member # 35312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goobersan   Email goobersan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where'd ya git the big sander ? sure makes gettin limbs straight.
great build - Thanks [campfire]

--------------------
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Posts: 750 | From: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buemaker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buemaker   Email Buemaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure looks good that braced profile. If I am not wrong you used an .003" taper with a reverse taper at the ends on the old design. Have you used something similar on this one?
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I just made a taper sled where the first 34" have an .002" forward taper and the next 15" have a .004" reverse taper so the tip wedge section can be shifted around. Tried it yesterday and an aboo lam came out dead right. Now I have to glue up something to try it out.
Thanks for a very interesting build along.

Posts: 1994 | From: Norway | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
choochoou
Contributor 2016
Member # 35160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for choochoou   Email choochoou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the profile kenny

--------------------
It's all fun and games, until someone gets hurt...then its hilarious!

Posts: 145 | From: PA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©