Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Redneck testing (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Redneck testing
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how I did that!! The lams are exactly 36" , deflection checked with 6" over end of bench with straight board clamped on top to hold down, 2" spring clamp for weight 1/8" from lam end.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11910 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the weight of the spring clamp?
This flaw throws a curve ball into your testing.
Ya some kind of Missouri redneck...
AH NEVER MIND.

Posts: 11171 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goobersan
Contributor 2015
Member # 35312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goobersan   Email goobersan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[knothead]

--------------------
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Posts: 774 | From: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw something similar done comparing wood lams to foam. The foam hung like a wet noodle.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2902 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Im interpreting this correctly, then the hickory did slightly better than the maple. As they both had the same deflection but the hickory is lighter. (Assuming that is a typo, and the maple didn't elevate 7/8 for a negative reading [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 682 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked to a good bowyer this morning and he got me thinking....

So tonite I cut some .060 parallel lams exactly the same length, checking thickness on each one and adjusting as needed to get as close to .060 as possible. Also cut all to 1.5" width with table saw set for all so as close as possible to exact.

The deflection was checked by hanging over end of bench 6" and clamping it and a straight board down to bench. Then measuring deflection to straight board, and flipping over to check and average result. I used a 2" spring clamp square on the lam end 1/8" onto the end of lam , was gonna weigh it but didn't yet.

Here are the results so far, most of these would be core woods, and are edge grain.

Wood -- weight in grains -- deflection in "

R. elm ------- 32.4 -------- 1 1/16
A-wood ------- 44.2 -------- 7/8
Amber boo ---- 37.4 -------- 1 1/4
Nat boo ------ 41.0 -------- 1 3/16
Ash ---------- 34.8 -------- 1 5/16
Walnut ------- 32.4 -------- 1
H locust ----- 39.5 -------- 1 3/8
Hickory ------ 39.6 -------- 7/8+
Osage -------- 49.1 -------- 7/8+
Maple -------- 41.1 -------- 7/8-

See why a lot of old bows were maple core? LOL

Hope these numbers can help you decide on cores, but the numbers are pretty much controlled by the individual tree they came from. YMMV

>>>>>--------------------->

The yardstick I was using was in 1/16" inc. so I added a plus or minus if above or below the 1/16" measure. So the maple bent less and the hickory was lighter . Maybe it should have been -7/8".

Or maybe should have done in 1/1000 " I have a dial indicator but it is an inch job.

Seems to be a correlation in weight vs stiffness of lams in general but some just seem to fail in both and need to be veneers.....

Should have done a bocote lam and some glass for fun...

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 11910 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I took and relisted from lightest to heaviest.
Now, delete any woods that are both heavier and deflect same amount or more than any previous wood.
This leaves only two woods.....walnut and hickory.

--------------------

Posts: 682 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

I get it now!!!
So hickory was 29/32 and maple was 27/32.

That means maple would be back on the list lol

--------------------

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

I'd say maple and hickory are real close, the hickory bent roughly a 1/16 more than maple and the maple is 1.5 grains heavier. (now let the hickory lay around a week cut in lams and draw moisture and the maple would be in front [Big Grin] )

Do the math on the weight / deflection and tell me!! [laughing]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

For now, Im sticking with walnut. Seems smooth and quiet. [Smile]
But I also haven't finished Avery's maple cored bow. [Wink]

--------------------

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

I like walnut, in this test it is less than an 1/8 more deflection and 7.2 grains lighter.

It seems to make a quiet bow too. Don't know how it would but to me it does. Let me know what you think when you get hers done!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maple is a proven core wood... I have heard that even though hickory can make a fast bow it does not fare as well as maple in the long run... What say Yee'all???
Posts: 253 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think walnut would be ok in edge grain. I know that it soaks a lot of glue.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3125 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard Rock Maple Rift sawn.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1801 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bamboo...............
Posts: 11171 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©