Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Offset string grooves (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Offset string grooves
BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrushWolf   Email BrushWolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bvas:
Start with a light swipe or two with a hacksaw blade. This will give you a nice little groove for the round file to follow.

X2 That's the best way I have found.

--------------------
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Posts: 1313 | From: OHIO | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Overspined
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Overspined   Email Overspined   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use a small chainsaw file too, so you can widen everything up and even it out. Start smaller and work it even as you check alignment. Your hand and file stoke position has a natural arc to it so it's easy to misalign them. I usually clamp my bow on its side to a bench and focus on straight swipes to help keep this from happening.
Posts: 2093 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a cure for cutting a string groove in backwards. This is not a joke nor was it funny.

James

--------------------
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 2038 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut the correct grooves and remove all material in between.
When I do mine, I do about 45 and 90 degrees and remove all material in between. Might look a little different, but would be functional.
 -
Or you could just pike it, and lose the 1/2" or whatever it would be.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 741 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James I guess you could fill it with something like JB kwik weld then re cut your grooves.
I start with a tile saw blade in a hacksaw frame. They are smaller diameter than the smallest chainsaw fil;e and it is very easy top make a straight 'cut' in the hacksaw frame. Then move onto the smallest chainsaw file. Correct any misalignment, step up a size in file and enlargew the grooves making note of any misalignment.
~This 3 stage way opf cutting the groove means that if you do go off slightly it is easy to pull back on the next size.

Posts: 891 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bvas I do the same thing, keeps string from torquing at full draw.
Posts: 194 | From: il. | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©