Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Smooth on ratios (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Smooth on ratios
Lee Lobbestael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Lobbestael   Email Lee Lobbestael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be a discrepancy concerning the ratio of part A to part B with smooth on. The cans I have had all say to mix at a ratio of 70:30 A to B by volume I believe. Most people I have talked to mix it 50:50 by volume but some said they mix it by weight and some said they use a different ratio. Whats the deal with this?
Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is right out of the horses mouth
web page

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3132 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macbow   Email macbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mix ratio is 1:1 by volume. When mixed 2A:1B by volume, EA-40® will achieve greater heat resistance and improved physical properties.. "from web page"
So does anyone use the 2A : 1B I use the equal by volume on my wood laminate bows.

--------------------
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Posts: 3287 | From: Warsaw, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dean
Contributor 2014
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dean   Email Al Dean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mix 1-1, but am not critical about it. Close is completely good enough.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 923 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a rule of thumb I always use a little more A than B... If I use 40 grams of A I will use 35 grams of B... That way I am always on the good side of things and there is less waste in the end...
In your standard epoxies if you don't mix them exact it could have problems reaching it's full potential... It's kinda like having more bolts than there are nuts for a project... If you have 10 holes, 10 bolts and only 7 nuts only 7 bolts will do the holding... Only the bolts with nuts will hold...
So that is why I err to the good side...

Posts: 264 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigbob2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbob2   Email bigbob2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for a 4 lam longbow, and I know this weight is in grams, not ounces but I use 72 g of A to 58 G of B. Works very well.
Posts: 1877 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Dean:
I mix 1-1, but am not critical about it. Close is completely good enough.

Yup! One dixie cup of each part is how I do it and never had a problem.

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3453 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2a--1b here---clearly harder--more peel resistance

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1337 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tend to agree with you. Do we know anyone who sells it for the 2 to 1 mix?

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3132 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do 1:1 by volume and it seems to work fine.

Which one is A and which B?

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2933 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where can I buy half a can of B??????????

--------------------
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 2034 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can get quarts of A only if you guys want it , then with a quart kit and the extra quart of A you are good to go .

Sorry , can't get pints of A only.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11972 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monterey, the cans are marked A or B. I mix 1:1 but I usually add a little extra part A. I always have about 8 oz in the B (blue quart) can when the A (yellow quart) can is empty.
Posts: 3626 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part A is yellow can.

If you use too much hardener, it won't set up properly.

So said a fellow who did to set it faster and called Smooth-on to ask. (not me this time but a customer who thought he got some bad glue.)

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 11972 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Oops , dbl post

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©