Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Smooth on ratios (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Smooth on ratios
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered exactly what physical properties are supposed to be improved by mixing 2a to 1b. If it sits up harder is that necessarily a good thing for how a limb bends?

--------------------
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 1998 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crittergetter:
I've often wondered exactly what physical properties are supposed to be improved by mixing 2a to 1b. If it sits up harder is that necessarily a good thing for how a limb bends?

This is from their literature:

Heat Distortion Temperature:
At 1A:1B Mix Ratio*: 163°F (73°C)
At 2A:1B Mix Ratio*: 217° F (103 °C)

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1491 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes sir, I've read that before. I am just wondering if any other properties are affected. Flexibility, longevity, ect.....

--------------------

Posts: 1998 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any difference in the pot life with the various ratios?

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2971 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one I found is peel resistance---

you would be amazed how easily you can peel the glass from a limb

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1347 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few bowyers that have done test strips with both mixes just to see
. the 2-1 mix showed tearing of wood and not peeling was much better. I think another key thing is letting the glue cure at room temp or at least not putting it in the hotbox too quick. So all the air has a chance to work out before curing starts.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3142 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the walk the talk bowyers told me he quit having problems with air bubbles when he went to the 2/1 mix. I haven't tried that mix but I may soon .

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12018 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all the properties are better at 2:1...........then why do they even sell it at 1:1? Is the A side the more expensive part?

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 740 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Hummm... I like the sound of better peel resistance!! I'll give this a try on the next set of limbs I make for myself!!

--------------------

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The A costs a bit more, I'd have to check but seems like about 3 bucks a quart. I've wondered why 1/1 is sold if 2/1 works better also Brad.. maybe bow application isn't the big useage of it ?

Also wonder why not sold separate in pints , only think I can figure is most guys that build lots of bows buy quarts or bigger.?

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 12018 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I always use a bit more resin just because. Had very few problems. Those that did I have to say peeled pretty easy. I know a lot of the high end guys that go 1-1 and are happy with it. So I guess it is what you want to do. Piece of mind type of thing.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3142 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
54* MORE temp protection is enough of a reason for me--the peel resistance is frosting on the cake

its not any different that 1:1 in the handling dept--I just order 2 A's and mix accordingly---

I use a 24grit belt to clean up a blank--the hardened snots are noticeably tougher--

if its harder for me to peel using a putty knife--its harder for it to delaminate on its own

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1347 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

I just glued up a limb for a TD, and went with 2/1.

See my gloom thread..... [saywhat]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

2-1 blew up --or the replacements are 2-1 ?

--------------------
Mike

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

1/1 blew up but I think I skimped too much on glue....

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©