Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Tips and tricks thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Tips and tricks thread
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For sawing things like sight Windows I bent a.hacksaw frame at a 45 degree angle which keeps the frame from interfering as you cut. It requires followup with rasps but for the tool deprived it gets you there.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2976 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel bad Monterey, I'm in that tool deprived category as well.
I also use the hacksaw. But after marking out the sight window, I make cuts just shy of full depth about 1/8" apart for the full height of the window. Then I just pop the pieces out with a flat screwdriver and finish with a rasp or file.
I also have a set of small sanding drums from HF that fit in a hand drill. They work well for shaping sight window and grip area. For as cheap as they were, I have been surprised out how well they work and how long they have lasted.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 741 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made this little mini form this morning. Well almost.... I ran out of dowels. Lol. I get frustrated with clamps sliding around when trying to put overlays on. So I'm hoping this little form will do the trick. Should be able to put a single clamp in the middle and band the rest.
No bows currently being built, so we will have to wait to see if it works.
 -

--------------------

Posts: 741 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Finished it up and tested with a finished bow. I think this will work much better for putting overlays on than the pile of clamps I normally use.
 -

--------------------

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That works Brad!!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12027 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell Yeahhh... Working with C-clamps can be a pain in the Arse... Now you got Me thinking... That could be dangerous... Lol...

Are you gonna use some kind of pressure strip to keep things flat...

Posts: 270 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

quote:
Originally posted by Shredd:

Are you gonna use some kind of pressure strip to keep things flat...

Yessir. I will use the same as I use on my bow forms.
16ga galvanized steel strip with two wire lamp cord glued down the middle.

--------------------

Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crooked I like your tip on using the belt sander with the jig. [thumbsup]
Posts: 727 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trux Turning
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trux Turning   Email Trux Turning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's how I cut in string groves- I file in the first one, flip the limb over and use a spare file in the cut to line up the top cut.
 -
 -

Posts: 1818 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trux Turning
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trux Turning   Email Trux Turning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's my poor mans over lay clamp- I secure the overlay with plastic, add a pressure strip and then attach the hose with a rope- air up the hose.
 -

Posts: 1818 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter61
Member # 4597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter61   Email peter61   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tradgangers!
Just a little question to you bowyers: on a bowform,when you working with innertubes, what's the distance from the dowels to the surface of the form?

Greetings, Peter

Posts: 39 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Mine are about 2"

--------------------

monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter, just saw your email. Quick answer is pretty close to bvas, about 2 1/4".

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2976 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Armstrong
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Armstrong   Email Robert Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAG-NAB-IT don't do that After cooling to temp in the oven I cut the limb to 2" past knock with a hacksaw. Then I pulled the tape to check the limb was clear of spots under glass. When I pulled the tape I started from the end of the limb I just saw cut. The tape picked up loose glass fibers at the saw cut and pulled long fibers with it the entire length of limb.  - From now on I'll start pulling tape at mid limb and work it towards tip and riser. Dang it Don't do this.
Posts: 363 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anytime you cut your limbs off or profile taper or what ever ALWAYS hit those cut edges with at least 80 grit from butt to tip.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3146 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©