Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 2 questions ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 questions ....
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys.

1) I`ve read that a heavy riser makes the bow more stable in the hand. Can you please explain how this works and how it effects shooting the bow?
Plus, how much is "properly" heavy and how much is too much?

2) Anyone used Zebrawood as a core (not as veneers)? How does it perform compared to maple (I really like maple cores on my bows).

Thanks
dor

Posts: 220 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Properly" heavy is an individual decision.
Lighter bows are quicker and easier to get on target. Heavier bows are easier to keep on target.
The reason is simple physics. The heavier an object is, more force or energy it takes to move it. So slight flinches or twitches have less effect on a heavier bow.
Just my 2 cents [Wink]

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 741 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I built one with zebra through and through. I see no advantage or disadvantage.

At this point I use maple and elm with excellent results.

I recently ordered maple cores from Kennym and I think they are the hardest maple I've ever worked with.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2976 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have made a few bows with all zebrawood. Zebrawood risers and all zebrawood lams, not veneers. I didn't test them, just shot them and they seemed fine to me.
Posts: 2380 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I believe that hard maple cane from northern IA . I think that is what my kiln buddy said anyway....

I agree with Brad on bow weight. Whatever you like best is best IMO.

On Zebrawood, I've heard it is a fine core wood, but never used it for core. Take a lam and with a hand on both ends, bend it a bit and see if it twists . A lot of it does. I love zebra veneers but they don't matter much if they twist a bit if thin.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12027 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never tried that trick. I just trust the supplier. [pray]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2976 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©