Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Kid's hickory r/d. Advice welcomed!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kid's hickory r/d. Advice welcomed!
sfguitarworks
Member # 46145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfguitarworks   Author's Homepage   Email sfguitarworks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi gang,

Great site. I've been lurking a while. I'm building a hickory backed hickory r/d bow with my daughter for her 8th birthday, and I'd love any advice. She currently shoots a pse lil'razorback, 54", 16lbs at 24". Her draw is about 19. I'd like her new bow to pull 20@24" to help with her arrow trajectory. My questions are-

For such a light bow, how thick would you make the back to avoid blowing through the belly when tillering?
I want to cut it a bit past center with a fairly tall window, like her pse. Concerns?
What do I have to do to the tips to make it fast flight compatible?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Take care,

Geoff

Posts: 3 | From: ca | Registered: Apr 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might have a hard time getting a backed, R/D bow down to 20#. You can shape a selfbow into a R/D shape with heat. Also, at that weight I doubt FF string will hurt the tips but you can always add tip overlays out of antler or hardwood. I've never cut a bow to center shot so I can't help you there.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13085 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfguitarworks
Member # 46145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfguitarworks   Author's Homepage   Email sfguitarworks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pat, I'm planning to just have the back and belly be like two veneers really, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea of the final thickness of a lightweight hickory limb. The limbs will start 1.5 inches wide, so do you guys think I'll end up 1/8 thick? 1/4? Having never done this, I'm just looking for a general spec for a 20lb pull. Thanks for the help!
Posts: 3 | From: ca | Registered: Apr 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never check thickness but tiller down until I get the weight at the draw I'm heading for. Start with 1/8" belly and a back thinner then that. After that you'll just have to tiller it down to the desired weight.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13085 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Look at zeroready's post about the backed bow he built for his son. He should be able to give you better info for a kids bow.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©