Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Smooth on EA 40 substitute (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Smooth on EA 40 substitute
Rudamchu
Member # 43382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudamchu   Email Rudamchu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Y'all. Haven't posted in quite some time. Just wanted to see if any of you more experienced/knowledgeable fellas can chime in with opinions on this potential substitute for EA 40 that I located locally. I can get 3 quarts of the stuff for $42.00 and the claimed shelf life is indefinite in controlled climate conditions. Here are a couple photos of the specs of both.

-

-

Posts: 20 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudamchu
Member # 43382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudamchu   Email Rudamchu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody?
Posts: 20 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like it "might" work. If it did , it would be cost-effective for sure.

If not, it would cost you in the short run. As in some bows if it lasts for a bit then gives up.

Being thinner and a short pot life, if it soaks in more and starts getting hot, how will that affect the bond?

I guess there is only one way to know. Wanna be the guniea pig? [Smile]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11976 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For $42 bucks give it a try and let everyone know how it worked. [Wink] In reading the specs, my one concern would be the pot life - I am kind of slow at getting the glass and lams all put together and into the form.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1480 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be afraid of the 30 minute pot life for an entire bow glue up not to mention the heat distortion temp being 25 degrees lower.

Might try it on some overlays, or test with some scrap lam pieces. It would be hard for me to stray from a proven product like smooth-on when gluing up $100-200 dollars worth of material.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 724 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it Flex when cured? That would be a concern making bows.
Posts: 2170 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want something that is lower viscosity you can use versamid. I used it on several bows and it works fine but thicker EA40 is easier to work with.

I did a bow with West Systems once and by the time it was layed up the plastic solo cup it was mixed in melted down. [scared]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2939 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used versamid when I started and had a red elm bow with a dry spot size of a dime. Bingham told me red elm soaked in glue a lot and should use ea-40 . Never looked back ....

Oh yeah, that bow finally blew up at full draw. I don't like that much!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 11976 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low viscosity isn't ideal for bows. Short pot life too. Exothermic reactions aren't ideal either when gluing lots of different dimensioned woods.
Posts: 879 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont know why you would want to use anything else when the EA-40 has been proven many times over. If it aint broke --------------

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3132 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudamchu
Member # 43382

I don't know if there's anything wrong with a bit of experimentation from the norm. Just because something has been the monopoly for a long time doesn't mean there can't be an equally or more effective alternative as well as potentially a less expensive one. This company formulates a wide variety of epoxies and is local to my neck of the woods. They've been in business for many, many years as a pretty reputable supplier to the marine industry, and reasonably inexpensive to boot. I've always been satisfied with the quality of their products. Based upon the responses here, maybe I can get them to tweak the formula for bows, or even point me to a more suitable formula of their's. Seems like the major concerns here are viscosity, pot life, and heat distortion levels. Otherwise, based upon the other factors, it would appear this epoxy is stronger in many areas.
Rudamchu
Member # 43382

quote:
Originally posted by M60gunner:
Does it Flex when cured? That would be a concern making bows.

Yes, they assured me that it is very flexible.
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Heck yeah , keep us posted!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, nothing wrong with trying something new! I don't suppose bows in build in the 60's used EA40. It was the new thing at some point. Give it a go!

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1480 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I see here is it may be just as good as smooth on. But I really dont have the time or money to properly test it out. I have something I know works. May cost a bit more but the piece of mind is worth it to me.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3132 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©