Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Bow Broke..:-( Help me understand what went wrong (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bow Broke..:-( Help me understand what went wrong
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredd may have hit on something with the accents into the fades, look at how the black bends right at the joint on belly.

But it may be the fades are a bit blunt too. 1/16" at 1", and 1/8" plus a little at 2 (.140" and yes I measure with dial calipers when grinding them) is what I always try to get.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11910 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kennym:
Shredd may have hit on something with the accents into the fades, look at how the black bends right at the joint on belly.

But it may be the fades are a bit blunt too. 1/16" at 1", and 1/8" plus a little at 2 (.140" and yes I measure with dial calipers when grinding them) is what I always try to get.

Well, at least I learned something so this failure wasn't for nothing. Guess it's just the learning curve... Too bad it cost so much time and money...

While were at it.. Is there any other important things I need to know? Mistakes usually made? Things I should avoid? Important measurements I need to know (like the fade length and thickness)?

Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of core wood? It looks curly to me. If you use curly grain for much more than veneers you are asking for trouble.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3125 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crooked Stic:
What kind of core wood? It looks curly to me. If you use curly grain for much more than veneers you are asking for trouble.

It's Maple. I use 2 lams, one parallel and one tapered.. No veneers.
I thought that only all wood needs straight grain.. Thought glass lam bows can get away with any grain

Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think your core wood is the cause of the failure. However, it may have contributed to the failure once the glue began to let go. We are all just speculating here as to the cause or the 'why did this happen". During the shot, there are a lot of forces acting on the bow stressing wood, glass, and bonds. Based on the pictures I have seen, I am betting on the bonds between the lams and glass being the cause.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1471 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crooked Stic:

yep

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1801 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey arachnid... I found that in life it is usually 3 steps forward 2 steps backward, and that is if you are living a progressive and positive existence... Chit is gonna happen, especially in this craft... Learn from it, Cover all your bases and Move on... I can't tell you how many experiments I have done and failed to hit my mark...

Put that bow up as a reminder of lessons learned
and start making a new bow...
I would keep the accents out of the fades...
Make them fades lean...
Put ample glue on...
Don't clamp too tight... (under 40 psi)
The more lams the better... Anything over 35#
should be more than 2 core lams...
Watch the woods you use...
Keep your fingers crossed... [Wink] [Smile]

These are my opinions that might lessen the chances of this happening again...

Best of Luck, Bro...

Posts: 253 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

quote:
Originally posted by Shredd:

Make them fades lean...

Please explain
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arachnid:
quote:
Originally posted by Shredd:

Make them fades lean...

Please explain
Think Rich meant thin them out nicely...

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 11910 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

When using more then 2 core lams, say 1 tapered and 2 thin paralles, does is matter in which oeder you place them and where you place them (on the back/belly side of the riser)?
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Not in my opinion, once glued up it is a composite structure, all bends the same....

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you butter up all glue surfaces?

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1846 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kennym:

Leannnn... What Kenny said... That's how I do mine also... 1/16" thick at the 1" mark and just over 1/8" at the 2" mark... You want a nice smooth transition that distributes the load...
Posts: 253 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

quote:
Originally posted by Holm-Made:
Did you butter up all glue surfaces?

Which means?? [Confused]

Shredd, does these measurements (of the fade transition) apply also when using a powerlam?

Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you put smooth on epoxy on all of the surfaces to be mated?

If you are epoxying two laminations together, you need to spread the epoxy on both laminations completely before putting them together.

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1846 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©