Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Bow Broke..:-( Help me understand what went wrong (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bow Broke..:-( Help me understand what went wrong
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Holm-Made:
Did you put smooth on epoxy on all of the surfaces to be mated?

If you are epoxying two laminations together, you need to spread the epoxy on both laminations completely before putting them together.

I actually did not... I spread glue only on one side.
Why spread both? It'll just cause a big squeeze out, no?

Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's best to apply epoxy to both surfaces because..some of it soaks into and fills the air spaces in the wood grain. This makes for a better bond between the 2 surfaces. I use a auto body plastic squeegee and it pushes smooth on into the glue surfaces. I make a couple of passes, wait a minute then apply more epoxy to the surfaces.
Posts: 3623 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How thick of a glue layer should I apply on each surface?
Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A starved glue joint was the reason the bow failed. You MUST apply epoxy to all surfaces to be mated or a high percentage of your bows will fail. This is standard procedure for building bows.
Good luck. Chad

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1846 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bow man
SPONSOR
Member # 13512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bow man   Author's Homepage   Email Bow man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A starved glue joint was the reason the bow failed. You MUST apply epoxy to all surfaces to be mated or a high percentage of your bows will fail. This is standard procedure for building bows.
Good luck. Chad

X2

--------------------
You worked to hard and paid a lot of money for that new bow. Why would you trust protecting it to anything less than Thunderbird Epoxy!!!
www.tbirdarchery.com
www.stjoeriverbows.com

Posts: 2682 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I know curly is not a good core wood it failed on me twice before I figured it out. You may get a few shots out of it and boom. It may have grain running length wise but the curly part of the grain goes from front to back of the lam and will take no pressure. When in veneer form between glass and a good straight grain wood you are fine. Be sure to do a dry run and check everything out on your next one. Keep those fades thin for a couple of inches on each end. They bend a little bit to.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3125 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arachnid:
How thick of a glue layer should I apply on each surface?

This is hard to explain......I also use the plastic squeegee. I use just enough pressure on the squeegee to leave a nice thin coating on the lams. A good light will help you check to make sure that the lams have a nice slick wet look to the ENTIRE surface. Look closely for any dry spots.
And yes, you will have squeeze out. Better to waste a little glue then waste an entire bow(and a bunch of time).

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 682 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arachnid, what I do is use my plastic squeege to push "smooth on" into the lamination, add smooth on onto the squeegee and go over the lams again, wait a minute or two and repeat.. The last pass I use no pressure and build a thin layer of epoxy over the lams. I am a hobby builder and I don't care if I use a couple more ounces of epoxy doing this. **Edit* And use a good light so you can see any dry spots..
Posts: 3623 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

quote:
Good luck. Chad

That makes a lot of sense. After it broke, the inner side of the glass and wood feeled smooth, as if there was no glue remains in them.
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

quote:
Good luck. Chad

That makes a lot of sense. After it broke, the inner side of the glass and wood feeled smooth, as if there was no glue remains in them.
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

quote:
Originally posted by Robertfishes:
Arachnid, what I do is use my plastic squeege to push "smooth on" into the lamination, add smooth on onto the squeegee and go over the lams again, wait a minute or two and repeat.. The last pass I use no pressure and build a thin layer of epoxy over the lams. I am a hobby builder and I don't care if I use a couple more ounces of epoxy doing this. **Edit* And use a good light so you can see any dry spots..

I don't use a plastic squeegee, I just use a thin piece of wood (usually a lamination cut off).
Hiw do you "push epoxy into the lamination"? Can you explain?

Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

As I am first applying the epoxy I am pushing down on the flexible plastic squeegee. The squeegee is not at a 90 degree angle to the lamination it's at a 45 to 60 degree angle.. So the squeegee is loaded like a spring, pushing down against the lamination and hopfully "forcing" the epoxy into any small natural voids in the laminations.
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Lots of good and important lessons learnd. I consider it a positive experience.

Thanks a lot guys. You're the best.
If there's anything else I need to know- please share with me.

HMlongbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 22674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMlongbow   Email HMlongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep the glue lines is where it failed and make a sister to original form and use a air hose. that is where the issues went and to much stress and I would like to see a more favorable taper on top side of handle. seems as though to much stress at that point
Posts: 432 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robertfishes:
It's best to apply epoxy to both surfaces because..some of it soaks into and fills the air spaces in the wood grain. This makes for a better bond between the 2 surfaces. I use a auto body plastic squeegee and it pushes smooth on into the glue surfaces. I make a couple of passes, wait a minute then apply more epoxy to the surfaces.

Excellent point, had a few failures because I did not apply glue to both surfaces.
Posts: 695 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©