Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Inner tube clamping method (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Inner tube clamping method
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That 1/8" allowance at the stops Is a great idea. Also like the pinning of the lams to the riser.

I'm going to look into plexiglass as a pressure strips with the rope down the centerline as well. I've never worked with plexiglass so it could turn out to be a bad idea!

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2901 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is long learning curve when using a rubber band form. I use a one piece band cut from a tractor inter-tube, spiral cut into one long piece. I clamp the riser and use the rubber band on the limbs. The trick to getting perfect glue lines is the pressure strip used. It has to be fairly stiff but bendable or you will get waves in the limbs and thickness variations in the glue lines. Forms are cheap to build and worth the effort if you build a lot of different bow designs.

James

--------------------
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 2022 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dazzad
Member # 46559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazzad   Email Dazzad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone, thanks for this excellent compilation of practical wisdom regarding the rubber band technique!
Like some of you guys, I'm heavily challenged by a lack of access to workshop machinery and equipment. Producing a top 'n' bottom airhose form is a bit out of reach, whereas I know I can make a combination rubber band/clamp form with what I have at my disposal.
Thanks again- I'm looking forward to being able to contribute my own photos and practical experiences to this thread when I have something to offer!
Darren

--------------------
Each day the devil whispered in my ear -"you will not withstand the storm."
Today I whispered in the devil's ear - " I am the storm..."

Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carson81
SPONSOR
Member # 37718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carson81   Author's Homepage   Email Carson81   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use heavy duty exercise bands. Not as cheap as inner tubes but I like the strength of them. I have never banded to a form, just wrap each limb then clamp to a board using blocks placed at intervals for desired profile. It gives you a lot of flexibility in creating different profiles.

--------------------
http://echoarchery.com/classes
Make your own yew or osage selfbow Workshops -
Registration open for October 12-15,2017 Workshop
www.surewoodshafts.com

Posts: 118 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rope goes under the pressure strip to increase pressure down the center line correct?thanks.Ken
Posts: 164 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenneth butler:
The rope goes under the pressure strip to increase pressure down the center line correct?thanks.Ken

No. The rope goes on top of the pressure strip.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 678 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By adding rope, cord, or whatever..... you are creating a convex profile for your pressure strip. If not, the bands will pull more tension on the edges, and not evenly across the width of the limb.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 678 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bvas:
quote:
Originally posted by kenneth butler:

No. The rope goes on top of the pressure strip.
I also thought that it gos on the bottom side. My pressure strip is a piece on thin wood and the bottom side is covered with rubber, so I glued a strip of narrow rubber along the middle of the bottom side.
Guess I'll change that now...

Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gundog68
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gundog68   Email Gundog68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did all ways. Innertube, Hoses , clamps.
Clamps are the savest. The work all the time in every condition. But the need the most time. Pressure hoses are fine, but i had to learn a lot because the first try the pressure leaks and that makes you hurry.. after fixing all the weak points this works fine.
Innertubes are the easiest way. But be aware of to much heat in a heat box. They make the innertubes weak.
One way is to use the inner tube method and put the hose above it. Just secure the hose with a rope. This methoth allows you to do the layout proper. Nothing will move when the pressure starts. You also do not need a top half of the form for those who will change some details in the layout.
You can also use the inner tubes and extra packing tape (for packing parcels) in difficult places. THis can be stretched too.
Currently i have the form so small it has about 3" parallel height to the contour of the bow. So i can wrap what i want. But this does not work with the air-hose ... it will crash the form.

Posts: 107 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog68:

One way is to use the inner tube method and put the hose above it. Just secure the hose with a rope. This methoth allows you to do the layout proper. Nothing will move when the pressure starts. You also do not need a top half of the form for those who will change some details in the layout.

That's a very good idea... Anyone else tried it?
Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I did understand that backwards. Ken
Posts: 164 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gundog68
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gundog68   Email Gundog68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was not my intention.. but it works fine.
Posts: 107 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©