Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Finish for my self bow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finish for my self bow
Adge23
Member # 46110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adge23   Email Adge23   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I am ready to put a finish on my completed hickory self bow and after doing a lot of research I'm more confused than ever. I can't seem to find what will be the best for the use I will doing with this bow. I plan to hunt with this bow so don't want it super light in color. But I also what something that will bring the wood grain out. Don't want it shinny or to have smell to it.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?
Any recommendations are welcomed

Thanks !

Posts: 22 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to hand rub finely ground charcoal with water or oil into bow woods like hickory and ash. It's a pretty subtle effect for will show off the grain and does cut the stark white of the wood. For a finish I've always used Tru-Oil, a linseed oil gunstock finish. Tru-Oil has a high gloss finish so after it dries I give it a quick spray of satin poly.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13166 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tung Oil!

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 655 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apply an alcohol base aniline dye first, it comes in numerous color choices. Then I put on 4 to 5 coats of tung oil. You wipe it on, wait 7 to 8 minutes and buff it off. Wait 24 hours between coats. Its not a high gloss shine, more of a satin finish.
Posts: 11325 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On hickory I put on Rit Dye dissolved in denatured alcohol. Then I spray on 3 coats of spar urethane. Jawge
Posts: 4859 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put 2 coats of spray shellac on my hunting bow and then hand rubbed 2 coats of TB3 on it. It wasn't a pretty finish but it was great for hunting. No shine and water resistant.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1306 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carson81
SPONSOR
Member # 37718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carson81   Author's Homepage   Email Carson81   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do stain then apply finish, be sure to experiment with scrap piece for compatibility. For example, a solvent based dye might run when applying a solvent based finish like shellac or a charcoal and oil stain like PatB suggested works great with tung oil or true oil over the top but might cause problems with a water based poly sticking.

I like to use water based stains then base coat with shellac, and then topcoat with tung oil or linseed oil. Dean torges demonstrated that shellac is one of the most effective finishes guarding against moisture. And it is natural and easy to use. I like to mix dry shellac flakes in denatured alcohol, or everclear.

Good luck!

--------------------
http://echoarchery.com/classes
Make your own yew or osage selfbow Workshops -
Registration open for January Workshop, January 11-14
www.surewoodshafts.com

Posts: 118 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adge23
Member # 46110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adge23   Email Adge23   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses
Posts: 22 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol or oil based aniline dye brings out the grain best without mudding it up. Thunderbird satin finish gives it a durable, clear professional finish.

I've handled a lot of Dean's bows, own a few, and while he advocated shellac for sealing staves and may have finished a few bows with it, I've never seen one. I doubt it was a favorite of his as a bow finish.

Posts: 2379 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drewster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drewster   Author's Homepage   Email Drewster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on your desire, I would stain it with an oil based stain followed by four or five coats of Tru-Oil. Complete the finish with a couple sprayed coats of satin Helmsman Spar Urethane Poly for a tough finish.

I've been using this combination for several years with very good results.

--------------------
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Posts: 371 | From: NC Mountains | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RAU
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAU   Author's Homepage   Email RAU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of paraffin melted into warm wood with heat gun til it won't absorb any more as per Dean Torges in Hunting Osage bow. Looks great, nice flat finish, no smell, and easy to completely redo as needed. It won't work so good over some stains tho. I use over rit dye in alcohol
Posts: 686 | From: NE Pa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©