Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » How would you all do this? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How would you all do this?
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 5 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the situation. Not calling it a problem, but something I'd like to change.

My current build is an RD 60" NTN with about 1.75" of reflex off an approximate 12 degree riser. The FDC curve indicates a slight tendency to stack between 27 and 28 inches. The tips have 4.5" wedges. There's nothing wrong with this bow (so far [pray] ) and even a 28" draw shooter is probably not going to feel it.

But, as the builder, I'd like to see no stack right up to 29".

My question is would it be effective to achieve this by increasing the wedges a few inches or go to 62" NTN off the same form. If going to 62" should the tip wedges be increased along with the overall length.

Open to any and all suggestions. [Smile]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2971 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats your taper rate?

--------------------
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 1998 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same issue with my design, ( 3 piece- shorter working limb) increased the taper by .001 and bingo!! No stack till 29" on my 60" and no stack till 30.5" on my 64, havnt tested the 62

--------------------

Posts: 1998 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Dp

--------------------

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Randy nailed it, if you have less than .003 taper. My 58" with .003 PI will go to 30" before the lbs. start increasing. The string angle hits square off limbs just before that.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12018 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crittergetter:
Whats your taper rate?

Taper rate is .003. however, the limb profile starts at just over 1.4" and begins a gentle arc about 2.5" beyond the fades and toward the tips which are quite narrow.

I'll try to do some pics later. Imgur Is not Android friendly!

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2971 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kennym:
I think Randy nailed it, if you have less than .003 taper. My 58" with .003 PI will go to 30" before the lbs. start increasing. The string angle hits square off limbs just before that.

I think that pretty much supports Randy's post. Even though it's tapered .003 now, the differences in your limb profile and mine are pretty significant wherein yours holds full width to about half the working length and has wider tips.

Still not sure what to do but you guys have me thinking in broader terms. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Monterey

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeze my head hurts... [Smile]
Posts: 11325 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think pics would be great... Unstrung, at brace and 28" draw... It would be cool to see the DFC also...

If I cannot add some advice to this post, I sure would like to learn something from it...

Posts: 270 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

I'll put all that up later when I'm back at my desk.

--------------------
Monterey

monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Here's the pics.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Monterey

monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

and the FDC

-

--------------------
Monterey

Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please take this FWIW, as it is as much a question for myself as it is a suggestion.

But have you tried a slightly longer string? To me, the 7.5" brace height seams a little high for a bow having that much reflex and what appears very little deflex.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 740 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also.....What draw length is the bow pulled to in the last pic?

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 740 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Last picture is @28".

The string is just one off the wall and Is a bit short. I could twist it up. As far as the raw numbers at this point, do you think more brace will make a difference?

--------------------
Monterey

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©