Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » What should I use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What should I use?
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys.
I`ve started working on a new bow (I`m not wasting any time [Big Grin] ) and after grinding all the lams and getting ready for glue up, I had second thoughts about the woods I use for the core.
This is my tapered core, it`s hard maple and it`s not qtr sawn:
 -

-

Is it any good for a core?

I`ve experimented making a core out of a bamboo pole I have, ground it and flattened it on my belt sander, and thats the result:

-

-

Quetion is, what should I use, the maple or the boo?

And another question-
my stack is - 1.5mm thick veneer + 3mm tapered core+ 1.5mm veneer.
Assuming I`ll use the boo as the core, can I make the boo 1.5mm thick parallel lam as the core, and use the tapered maple lam as a "tapered veneer"? (hope that makes sense)
I just want to save some time grinding new veneers....

Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see that the grain line are 1/4 sawn on the hard maple. look at the end of the board, does it look like this ////// or ||||| both are good.
Use the maple.
vertical bamboo work's good too.
I think the maple will do better.
Look at the picture down the page.
https://woodworking.stackexchange.com/questions/476/what-are-the-different-uses-for-plain-sawn-flat-sawn-rift-sawn-and-quarter-s

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1801 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check the grain along the edges also. Dramatic run offs that way can be a problem.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13118 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glass or all wood bow?

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1801 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess stuart
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jess stuart   Email jess stuart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If glass I would use it in a heartbeat. Wooden bow no idea.
Posts: 1412 | From: Moriarty , New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes on the maple...
Posts: 253 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glass bow.
The maple does have a few run outs but not drastic. Is it safe to use?

And, does it matter where I place it? I plan to place the lams in this order-

back glass
3mm thick Tapered maple core
1.5 thick Parallel walnut core
Power lam
Riser
1.5mm thick parallel maple belly lam
Belly glass

And while we're at it, what's the "rule" when picking wood for glass bow cores? (I know wooden bows need perfectly straight grain, but not sure with glass)

Posts: 210 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That piece of maple is perfectly fine. There are no rules. Use your best judgement.

For quartersawn, I like to see minimal runout, but a little is ok, especially in a glass bow with several laminations.

Posts: 2356 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that hard maple you have there will work fine
. Sometimes you can orient you lams have the run out going in opposite direction should cancel it out.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3125 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Crooked...
Posts: 253 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Thanks for the input guys.
How about my glueing order? Is it ok to place the tapered lam yp front and not between the veneers?
back glass
3mm thick Tapered maple core
1.5 thick Parallel walnut core
Power lam+riser
1.5mm thick parallel maple belly lam
Belly glass

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©