Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Am I even close ? (and an introduction)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I even close ? (and an introduction)
amashinga
Member # 46565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amashinga   Email amashinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am a west coast Canuck with zero bow building experience, but tons of woodworking under my belt.

I want to build my first bow and while I have read everything I can, I am the kind of guy who learns a lot more from doing than reading. So, the purpose of the first bow is really just to learn and if I am lucky, have something to shoot at a straw bale while I work on the next one,

I have decided on a recurve with two tapered hard maple laminations, and a thin walnut lam to give it a pinstripe. The bow will be backed with fibreglass.

The total length will be 62" with the limbs tapering from a width of 1 1/2" to 1/2" and a thickness of 1/2" to 3/8"

I am hoping to achieve a draw length of 30" with a draw weight of 40lb or less.

Where I would really appreciate some help, is if someone could look at these figures and tell me where I should adjust my starting point if I am way off base. What I am doing is not precise, and if I end up with a any shootable bow I will be happy, the goal is to learn.

Thank you

Posts: 1 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a Reflex Deflex
https://www.kennysarchery.com/laminations-1/

For a recurve
https://www.binghamprojects.com/categories.php

My 2 cents

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1796 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems kinda thick.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2901 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monterey:
Seems kinda thick.

Yes. Total thickness of a "typical" glass recurve would be more in the area of .25" at the fades for a bow around 45-55# depending upon the design. Also a typical recurve would not have a straight taper in width from the fades to the tip. I would go with a proven design as already suggested for a first bow. I like your idea of jumping in and learn by doing! Good luck and ask questions here.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1469 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Draw weight chart

https://www.binghamprojects.com/Bow%20Draw%20Weight%20Chart.pdf

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1796 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your doing glass bows is a good idea to start working in thousands of a inch. Exmpl. .005"
Posts: 370 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©