Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Tri Lam Handle Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tri Lam Handle Help
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the handle pop off of my bamboo backed trilam. I suspect that the handle was too thin, about 1" in the center, which allowed it to bend at the rest and eventually cracked the glue joint. The center lam was tapered hackberry with an 5/16" osage belly lam, and a walnut handle. My question is: If I make the handle deeper and use edge grain osage will that work, or are there other options?
Posts: 1150 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Holden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you start the fade into the limbs? If the fade is started at the joint where the handle meets the limb I've heard they'll pop off. If the fade starts after that joint, on the limb, it's supposed to be alright.

Maybe some one can attach a picture to give a better description. Check out the red oak board bow build along in the how to section of Trad Gang. You should find a picture of what I'm describing.

--------------------
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Posts: 1539 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Handle should never bend in a trilam. I'm betting you had it bending too much into the end of the riser.

Pictures?

Posts: 11325 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fades start 1-1/2 to 2" from the glue joint and taper slowly to the joint. The reason I thought it might be from the handle being too thin is I also cut in a slight shelf, this made the width at that area less than 1" wide.
Posts: 1150 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©