Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Too late to steam or heat bend?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too late to steam or heat bend?
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In preparation for carving my first selfbow, I've been reading & watching videos on heat bending with steam or a heat gun. It's making me wonder about heating up some of my previously made maple board bows to put a little reflex in the tips. The bows were only finished with straight beeswax so heating it will just melt the wax. Is it ever too late to introduce reflex to the tips or can it be done at any time?

Also, can steam be used to take out some of the set that the bows have taken on? Or would this just damage it further?

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 616 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can reheat a bow later but if the set is excessive it will only stress the bow more. Sometimes you can give the belly a deep heat tempering that will increase the compression strength and eliminate some of the set but that doesn't always work. Steam may take set out but it will probably be temporary.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13166 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parts of the bow won't take any heat correcting successfully.
Non bending parts like the last 8 inches of so may.
But...
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Jawge

Posts: 4859 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. Maybe I'll leave my shorter one alone. It's only 61" and has about 2.5" of set. But I'm happy with the speed that thing manages to kick out. The other is about 67" and I've been thinking about cutting it down, reducing tip width, etc. to help it out a bit so maybe I'll try to add a little reflex on that one.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 616 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found out that it's sometimes better to just accept it as it is and move onto another bow.
But for your info here:

Wet/green wood, use steam.

Dry wood, use dry heat as in a heat gun.

Posts: 11325 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©