Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Handle Separation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Handle Separation
LaBill67
Member # 45958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaBill67   Email LaBill67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys I need some help and advice. I have recently had two bows were the handle has separated. The attached photo is of the most recent one. The handle on this hickory backed hickory has begun to separate where the riser joins the bow below the arrow pass. I would like to save this bow if I can. Would removing it and after tacking the back down flush with the limbs then attaching a thin piece of hickory that extends beyond the riser about 5 or 6 inches help retain the handle? Any suggestions for future builds that will alleviate this problem will be helpful.  -
Posts: 51 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaBill67
Member # 45958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaBill67   Email LaBill67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully this will show the photos.
https://imgur.com/CnSksxo
https://imgur.com/PizXLYw
https://imgur.com/a/sDucT

Posts: 51 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to learn how to do your riser.
all you need is 4" for your hand grip area.
your fades need to be longer and FADE into the riser, a angle like this \_______/ is no good.
Read this first page about fades
http://poorfolkbows.com/ipe1.htm
I cant get a picture to load at this time

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1801 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaBill67
Member # 45958

Thanks Max.
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taper the end of riser longer.
Posts: 11171 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you pick one of the methods described in Mad Max's link, you shouldn't have any problems. Lately I've been using a power lam described in the 1st method on the link, and that allows you to get by with a smaller handle, which I find looks better. The last method described in the link is probably the strongest. If I was concerned at all about the handle I would make sure the fade runs into the belly wood a decent amount like in the photo.
 -

Posts: 109 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'am sure your next bow will turn out better.

If your not sure about something else, just ask.

[thumbsup]

--------------------

Posts: 1801 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup just ask, Mad Maxi boy is always asking me for advice... [laughing]
Posts: 11171 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Yea,Roy I have a question
Is it possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix?

--------------------

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Yes, it's an excimer, frozen in its excited state.
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Yes, it's an excimer, frozen in its excited state.

OMG - I have to get my muck boots on...gettin deep here! [Eek!]

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1471 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

That's nuffen, Mitch... [Smile]

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©