Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » epoxy (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: epoxy
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use rubber bands to "clamp" tip overlays.

Me too.. And have never had one come loose or off using smooth on.

-

Posts: 11157 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shredd:
quote:
Originally posted by Robertfishes:
I The weight of the clamps can twist the ends of your limbs if too much heat is applied

You don't need C-clamps... Trust me... All you need is a little spring loaded clamp... Knock wood I have not had a tip fail yet...
some recurves are not flat at the tip, so a c clamp is needed.
then when you file the string grove in, it springs back.

them flat bow people dont no nuffin. [Smile]

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1796 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least flat bow folks know how to spell, enough.. [Smile]
Posts: 11157 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what?

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1796 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pditto613
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pditto613   Email pditto613   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pditto613:
Agree with Robert on the blue cap gorilla glue. How did you survive hurricane Irma Robert?

I have had to work pretty much non stop since Saturday..We went to our house yesterday afternoon,no electric, I made a bunch of ice jugs and put them in freezer and fridge before storm. no damage to house or bow shop, but truck loads of small oak limbs all over the yard and barn. We cleaned out freezer and fridge and took contents to my office where I have a 150kw diesel generator and 500 gallons of fuel. Hope you guys also came thru it with no big problems too.

Posts: 155 | From: palatka, fl | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pditto613
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pditto613   Email pditto613   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the same no structural damage. Lots and lots of limbs down. 20 trailer load to curb already and that's just the front of yard. Just got power back a little while ago
Posts: 155 | From: palatka, fl | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pditto613
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19783

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just checking on a buddy
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would form the overlays to fit the curve... [Wink]
Posts: 252 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Maxi boy hain't that smart.. [Smile]
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shredd:
quote:
I The weight of the clamps can twist the ends of your limbs if too much heat is applied

You don't need C-clamps... Trust me... All you need is a little spring loaded clamp... Knock wood I have not had a tip fail yet...
I agree,I did use small C clamps on the first few bows I built, I was worried about crushing the glass with too much pressure. Back in 2010 I bought some spring clamps. Now I have about 30 harbor freight spring clamps. For tips I mostly use three 050 phenolic pieces, I glue them one at a time,they are pretty flexible and the little spring clamps have no problem holding them down on a recurve limb. The Gorrila brand Super Glue sets very quick and you better be ready and steady when you put your piece onto the bow..I put a piece of masking tape across the limb and glue the first piece onto the limb 1/16" from the tape, after clamping wipe excess glue off of limb.
Posts: 3623 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackpine Boyz
Member # 45525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackpine Boyz   Email Jackpine Boyz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all the replies.
I will look at getting some smooth on, sounds handy. I did pick up some gorilla blue cap superglue for the time being. I will use a light clamp. The gorilla glue says 1 drop per square inch, not that I am that follows directions, but a would expect more than 1 drop for this. I was planning on 4-5 drops and extra would squeeze out. Thoughts? My tip overlay for this bow are 1.25 x 0.625"

Posts: 64 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the rubber band trick. It works great and holds at just the right pressure.
Do pre-shape the overlay, at least where it tapers to the limb so you get a good transition.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13115 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wet both glue surfaces and get some squeeze out. I wipe off excess glue with a clean rag and a q-tip. When working with super glue you must have good ventilation and work fast..it sets pretty darn fast. I got some Bowyers CA glue once and it did set slower, not sure if it's still made though. Again make sure you have good ventilation in your work area. I have a exaust fan that vents outside of shop.
Posts: 3623 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

I also put masking tape on the spring clamp pads..in case glue get on them. And I put butchers paper on bench under tips to catch any glue that may drip off.
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I use spring clamps I was referring to working with ea-40... Super glue may be a different animal and may need a tight fit for better adhesion...
Maybe someone can chime in about this...

Note... Always put enough glue on to have plenty of squeeze-out...

Posts: 252 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©