Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Good Days Haul of Osage (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good Days Haul of Osage
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Puts me in the mood to go cut some myself. Nice haul Roy.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1479 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man I'm so jealous. I can't get Osage up here at my hardwood store of choice.
Posts: 378 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what kind of bow would you build if you had Osage?
Posts: 11247 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gwass, of course!

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2933 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mitch go cut some. What I hate most is the 2 years ya gotta let it dry and season a bit. And 5 year old Osage is super stuff.. [Smile] But I hain't got much of that left.. But I do have a couple pieces of 10 year old Osage.
Posts: 11247 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krasus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krasus   Author's Homepage   Email Krasus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glass backed (clear) reflex deflex longbow. ( my design) [Smile]

Put some Osage under the clear so it just makes the bow pop!

Posts: 378 | From: Canada - Vancouver | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy - it is on the to do list. I haven't cut any for a couple of years, but I do have several seasoned staves to keep me going for a while.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1479 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2017
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Roybert!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 2044 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love that yellar wood........ [thumbsup]

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15685 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good. Wish I actually had some growing around here. Just lots of mulberry ....

Care to show us how you mill it? You'd need quite the rig to get a big log like that onto the table of a vertical bandsaw.

I've been thinking of building a long sled with indeed and outfeed table for my bandsaw to mill some logs ...

Posts: 2948 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Ben, those big logs are 36 inches long. That's because of how they grew and what I was allowed to take. I got as many 36 inch pieces as I could. Some will be for lams and others will be for risers. I did get one beaut that was 64 inches long.

The 36 inch ones will be split with a wedge till I get them down closer to an extra large Osage stave size. Then I put a 3/4" X 3 tpi blade on my bandsaw and square them up and then I cut billet boards from there on. I try to get as many 1/4 sawn pieces as I can, then as many rift sawn as I can. Then if possible I'll cut some riser blocks out of it. Osage is like gold and I don't want to waste any of it. But for the first year they will just be split with the wedge and left to dry.

LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Roy.

I guess I assumed you were cutting the logs on the bandsaw before splitting. I'll have to try that method, split first, then saw.

Posts: 2948 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©