Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » New recurve and build along (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New recurve and build along
BenBow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BenBow   Email BenBow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool jigs Ralph! Really shows your patience and attention to detail.

--------------------
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Posts: 5254 | From: Sunny Rio Rancho, New Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more than one way to skin a cat.
Looking good.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1864 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmorris
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmorris   Author's Homepage   Email rmorris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I had some free time today so I started on the form for the limbs of this recurve. I am using LVL which I assumed was 1.75 “ but is actually 1.625”. I ended up rough cutting out the shape for my new form and then running each piece through the plainer down to 1.5” and then added a piece of 1/8” backer board to each side getting me back to 1.75”. Here are my steps on how I did it.

--------------------
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Posts: 1257 | From: Midland, Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmorris
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmorris   Author's Homepage   Email rmorris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Rough cut the form per this last recurve lime I attempted and failed on. This form will be opposite of every one I have ever done because I am going to try the reverse limb wedge.

-

I also cut the template for the flush/trim router bit and used my hone made sanding block to get it flat where I want it flat and round out the rest.

-

A good way to check your template for imperfections is to trace it out with a fine point sharpie.

--------------------

Posts: 1257 | From: Midland, Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmorris
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20961

-

I went ahead and added a recessed extra layer to the template to ensure the router had a good bearing surface.

-

Attached the pattern to the form with double stick tape and made my first attempt....
 -

Yah.... it was terrible but I just moved to template back and made a second attempt

-

Much better

-

--------------------

rmorris
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20961

Here is the nearly finish bottom half of the form. I will hopefully get some time in this week to finish it. The more time you spend on getting the mating surface of your form perfect the happier you will be with your limbs.

-

-

--------------------

Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably could have filled those router oops with bondo and sanded down and been good with formica or whatever you use on your form face.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3148 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©