Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Snake Skin Prep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snake Skin Prep
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for some advice on two freshly acquired timber rattler skins. They are already skinned and I want to prepare them to ship. Do I just need to stretch, flesh and dry? What’s the best fleshing technique? These are nice skins and I don’t want to mess them up. Thanks
Posts: 2649 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
soak them and rub or pull the flesh if any off
tack them to cardboard (outside of skin against the cardboard ) all the way down and wait for them to dry. the tacks will be in the belly part.
after they are dry trim the edges with the tack holes off with a razor blade all the way down.
now they will roll up.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks brother.
They are frozen now. I assume I can soak them to thaw and follow your suggestions from there?

Posts: 2649 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea

--------------------

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take a knife or spoon and carefully remove any meat that is stuck to the inside of the skin. Make sure they are good and dry before storing them away.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1309 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Krewson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Krewson   Email Eric Krewson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a staple gun to stretch and tack a green skin to a board. For fleshing I use a teaspoon, there is a lot of meat on a timber rattle skin that needs to be removed.

A skin will dry quickly at which point I trim off the belly part and roll the skin up for storage.

Posts: 4125 | From: Florence Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Mice ate my copper head skins but did not eat my Timber rattler next to it.

What colors are the skins?

--------------------

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pink, right up your alley.. [Smile]
Posts: 11375 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Pink, right up your alley.. [Smile]

Yep
I do like pink skin

--------------------

Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Pink!! LOL

I still haven’t thawed them. I’m gonna start on them next Monday. Looking forward to the project and learning something new. Got a Silvertip that’s begging for a pretty set. Thanks

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©